Chapter Twenty One♥

"You look like crap." Adrianna told me bluntly, taking a seat beside me at the table.

"I know." I muttered before taking an angry bite out of my toast.

I had barely slept last night, I had been too busy thinking about all the events that had occurred recently; Mum finding weed under my bed, her hand connecting with my cheek, Jared kissing me, Edward kissing me, Violet's face when she cried, Black Jack Joes.

How had things gotten so messed up?

"Cheer up, at least you don't have to go to counselling." Adrianna grumbled.

I gave her a sympathetic smile, "Sorry, I'll stop feeling sorry for myself. Do you want me to come with you?"

"Absolutely not." Mum snapped from the doorway. "I don't understand why you are even talking to her considering what she put you through."

"What she did was wrong," I agreed, "But that doesn't mean she should have to go to counselling alone."

Adrianna had done what she did for a reason, and despite the fact that I had been the one to take the wrath of her decision, I knew that deep down Adrianna hadn't done it to be malicious, she was hurting, and without the support of her family we wouldn't be able to get to the bottom of what was troubling Adrianna.

"It is out of the question." Mum snapped haughtily," She will do this, and she will do this alone."

I looked at Adrianna worriedly. She was staring blankly ahead, her expression not giving anything away. Her makeup was darker than I had ever seen it, black eyeliner circling her blue eyes, her skin ghostly pale against her bleached blonde hair. It was as if I were seeing her in a completely new light.

"I'm coming with you." I whispered to her while Mum washed a few dishes.

"No." Adrianna said blankly, "She's right, you shouldn't even be talking to me."

She walked out of the room before I could say anything else.

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

I had always hated maths, ever since I was a kid. I had always been put onto that table, the small group of people that had to move to a table where a teacher would help them through the entire class. My brain and maths would never coexist, the numbers on the page were like a foreign language and I knew that I would never be able to wrap my head around them.

That was until I met Violet.

She had helped me for years, studying with me to the early hours in the morning, hugging me when I felt like I was going to burst into tears of frustration and forcing me to never give up.

Which was why even Mr. Jefferson, the maths teacher that rarely noticed anything, threw a curious glance in my direction when Violet stormed right past me and her usual seat next to me and sat as far away from me as possible. I looked over my shoulder as she sat at the back of the class. Her eyes eventually flickered over to me after I risked her a glance in her direction halfway Mr. Jefferson's lecture. Her eyes immediately hardened; all trace of concentration replaced by hatred and betrayal.

I wanted to talk to her so badly, to explain what had happened.

Part of me was angry because Violet had seen what happened; Edward had kissed me, but it seemed she thought it would be easier to believe that I had insinuated the whole thing instead of the fact that perhaps the boy she loved didn't love her back.