I Put On A Few Million Extra Pounds

Percy's Pov:

The horrible thing was, I could see the family resemblance. Atlas had the same regal expression as Zoe, the same cold, proud look in his eyes that Zoe sometimes got when she was mad, though on him it looked a thousand times eviler. He was all the things I'd originally disliked about Zoe, with none of the good I appreciated. 

"Let Artemis go," Zoe demanded. 

Atlas walked closer to the chained goddess. "Perhaps you'd like to take the sky for her, then? Be my guest." 

"Zoe!" Y/n croaked. "Don't - "

Luke dug the knife deeper into her skin. "Don't. Say. A. Word."

Zoe opened her mouth to speak, but Artemis said, "No! Do not offer, Zoe! I forbid you." 

Atlas smirked. He knelt next to Artemis and tried to touch her face, but the goddess bit at him, almost taking off his fingers. 

"Hoo-hoo," Atlas chuckled. "You see, daughter? Lady Artemis likes her new job. I think I will have all the Olympians take turns carrying my burden, once Lord Kronos rules again, and this is the centre of our palace. It will teach those weaklings some humility." 

I looked at Y/n. She was desperately trying to tell me something. She motioned her head toward Luke. But all I could do was stare at her. I hadn't noticed before, but something about her had changed. Her y/h/c hair was now streaked with grey. It had turned silver before, at night, under the moonlight, but never grey.

"From holding the sky," Thalia muttered as if she'd read my mind. "The weight should've killed her." 

"I don't understand," I said. "Why can't Artemis just let go of the sky?" 

Atlas laughed. "How little you understand, young one. This is the point where the sky and the earth first met, where Ouranos and Gaia first brought forth their mighty children, the Titans. The sky still yearns to embrace the earth. Someone must hold it at bay or else it would crash down upon this place, instantly flattening the mountain and everything within a hundred leagues. Once you have taken the burden, there is no escape." Atlas smiled. "Unless someone else takes it from you." 

He approached us, studying Thalia and me. "So these are the best heroes of the age, eh? Not much of a challenge." 

"Fight us," I said. "And let's see." 

"Have the gods taught you nothing? An immortal does not fight a mere mortal directly. It is beneath our dignity. I will have Luke crush you instead." 

"So you're another coward," I said. 

Atlas's eyes glowed with hatred. With difficulty, he turned his attention to Thalia. 

"As for you, daughter of Zeus, it seems Luke was wrong about you." 

"I wasn't wrong," Luke managed. He looked terribly weak, and he spoke every word as if it were painful. If I didn't hate his guts so much, I almost would've felt sorry for him."Thalia, you still can join us. Call the Ophiotaurus. It will come to you. Look!" 

He waved his hand, and next to us a pool of water appeared: a pond ringed in black marble, big enough for the Ophiotaurus. I could imagine Bessie in that pool. In fact, the more I thought about it, the more I was sure I could hear Bessie mooing. 

Don't think about him! Suddenly Grover's voice was inside my mind—the empathy link. I could feel his emotions. He was on the verge of panic. I'm losing Bessie. Block the thoughts! 

I tried to make my mind go blank. I tried to think about basketball players, skateboards and, the different kinds of candy in my mom's shop. Anything but Bessie.