Chapter Thirty-Five

~ Adam ~

Adam groaned as he stepped out of the Science building into the day's full-blown chill. An arctic blast had hit town overnight, and between the weather and not getting any sleep because his neighbour had, once again, chosen to blare dubstep until four that morning, Adam felt like a walking corpse. He'd stayed up another hour again just ranting to Piper about it over text.

A stream of students were making their way down the steps, crowding close to avoid the wind. Adam shivered as he drew his hood up and hastily made his way across campus toward the cafe and out of the rain.

The cafe was busy but not crowded. Adam easily spotted Cole sitting at a table by the window, glancing at out the quad with a bored expression as he tapped one finger rhythmically on the tabletop. His signet ring looked imposing beneath the fluorescent lighting.

"Hey," Adam said as he slid into the opposite chair, bag dropping to the floor. "I hope I didn't keep you waiting long."

Cole flicked two fingers toward the counter. If he noticed Adam's wrecked state, he didn't comment. "I haven't ordered yet, if you want anything."

Adam shook his head. "I'm okay."

A silence fell between them briefly. Adam hadn't seen Cole since the weekend. Their text conversations had been short as Adam didn't want to come across as intrusive but he did ask quietly, "How's Max doing?"

Cole shrugged. "As best as any kid in that situation can be, I guess. James is watching him right now."

"He's here?" Adam asked, surprised. "In Spring Creek?"

Cole nodded. "It wasn't wise to leave him alone with Mum right now. He's staying part-time with me. James took him to some book signing across town or whatever, I don't know. At least it'll keep him out of trouble."

Adam nodded slowly. "And how are you?"

Something unreadable flashed in Cole's eyes. It was gone as quickly as it had come but Adam didn't miss it. Judging from his expression, not many people had asked Cole that in a long time.

"I'm fine." Cole said.

He reached out across the table and took one of Adam's hands in his, gently stroking the skin with his thumb. "I'm sorry that I had to cut our date short."

"Don't apologise. You were where you needed to be."

"Still," Cole leaned back in his chair, hand leaving Adam's, "I want to make it up to you."

"That's really not necessary."

"It is," Cole insisted. "I never got to do the whole romantic 'dropping you home at the end of the night' thing."

"I was driving." Adam chuckled.

"It's about the principle." Cole's eyes met his. "I want to do this right."

Adam inhaled sharply. Neither he or Cole had made any move to define this thing growing between them. Whether or not Cole felt a need to, Adam didn't know. Is that something he should've known beforehand? Would it be right to ask now?

But instead of charging head-first into that conversation, Adam said, "I don't think this is something you can get right. I think it's just something you do just."

Something twinkled in Cole's eye across the table. "Wise words."

Adam playfully rolled his eyes. "It's a gift."

"Is that so?"

"Can't be taught."

"I wouldn't think so."