COLD PRESENCE

BHUMI SATYADEV

"The Assembly must be postponed Maharaj." I heard Suraj and Ariv say in union. Probably first time in their useless existence they agreed on same thing. The bodies were of two officials in finance. They left their offices to get home late at night but never reached. Their family is yet to be informed. I am still in shock sitting in my chair. My position making me necessary to sit in the emergency assembly. No one is shocked that I didn't spoke anything. "But if we cancelled it now after sending out invitations. We will lose our faces in front of all allied kingdoms." The forgein minister said gritting his teeth.

"Maharaj. I doubt someone is trying to sobotage our kingdom. Most likely someone who wants the throne." He said last part glaring at me. "But can't have it." He added now not even trying to hide the blame. I looked at him emotionless. The princes looked in disbelief. Everyone know I will be the last one scheming for throne. "Why do you think so ?" I asked him. "What proof do you have before accusing me ?" I added keeping the nerves showing in my voice. He huffled before answering. "The power is all desire Rajkumari. It can even make sages scheme. And you are smart enough to know that the killer won't leave any proof." At least they are not considering this as animal attack anymore.

"What were you doing there Rajkumari Bhumi ?" Senapati ji asked me. He is also like me. He never chooses a side. Always in neutral grounds. "Did you found anything odd yesterday night ?" He added to sound as if he is introgating me instead of straight of acussing me of murder. "The place where dead bodies were found is nearest to my palace. My maid had opened all the windows and curtains to let the cool air in. I know the voice of scream so I just ran over to the place but I didn't thought I will encounter two mutilated dead bodies. And as for your second question except the heavy rains and high winds are odd enough in winter especially when there are no black clouds rolling over the mounts."

I said shrugging off the questions in least suspicious way ever possible but I indeed found it odd that in morning and afternoon there are absolutely no sign of rainfall. But as soon the night fall the gale picked up suddenly along with rain of such magnitude. Even the gaurds stationed upstreams of Alaknanda never mentioned the abnormal amount of water that came and flooded our banks yesterday. If it was not for the high banks made up of steel and stones the water might have flooded half of the villages and cities on its periphery. I didn't mentioned them about the black shadow or ghost or dark aura with bottomless red eyes nor the warning. It appeared as if I am the only one who can read or see it.

I am not even conform what happen last night. The lamp was definitely broken and yesterday's chuni was missing. I made a excuse that I am standing on balcony and it flown away. But the vase infront of me is not broken and the anklet which I saw being snatched away by a blackened hand was still on my feet. My entire mind is like a messy box which random thoughts are thrown inside of it. My mind was a tangled mess. "I still doubt your thinking Rajkumari. You said that the bodies are found not the place where the victims are killed. Why ?" The old advisor of Maharaj asked. I looked at him like a dead beat.

"If they were killed there I doubt our patrols would either have to sleeping or killed." I said glaring at him. "There should have been more blood than there is. By the looks of it they were kidnapped before going out of the fort and then killed in a secluded part." Suraj said immediately after, giving his theory. "And I can say our patrols along Alaknanda were definitely sleeping yesterday due to excessive rains and minor floods giving excellent opportunity for the killers to spread the bodies on stairs which can easily catch our attention." Ariv completed which made us three look at each other. This two are two years older than me. I can't believe we three agreed on same thing at once.

The council became silent as they listen to us. "So the killer has good knowledge of fort than us, know our patrol timings and is skilled in art of rowing through raging rivers." The forgein minister asked dumbfounded. "Killers." We three said in union again eyeing each other again. What the hell.... I think that's what our expressions said. "Senapati I need this killers dead or alive. I don't care. And this Silver Assembly will be hold despite the consequences." Maharaj said as I felt his unnerving gaze settled on me. My skin split into goosebumps and cold sweat broke on my forehead. I gulped nervously. I know many noticed but didn't say anything but they did doubted me more than before.