2- Finally, Somone Says Something

1st Person

I slowly step out of my jeep and stand facing the crowd that had gathered. I give them the friendliest smile I had and wave. Some child in the front waved back from her mother's arms, but other than that, there were only hushed whispers.
I look around and sigh, it seemed like it was up to me to break the ice.
"Hi! My name's y/n, I was just driving around, taking pictures, seeing sights, stuff like that— when I noticed a trail. More like a path really, but uh...basically, next thing I know, I'm here!"
I shift my weight from one leg to the other and push my glasses up even though it didn't need to be, awkwardly waiting for something to happen now. I really wasn't expecting to run into anyone this far into the wild. This town definitely wasn't on the map.

I was about to climb back into my car and wait the crowd out, when said crowd made way for an elderly woman, followed by a very muscular girl. My jaw nearly dropped at the sight of the giant woman. She was drop-dead gorgeous!
I will admit that I might've been staring when the older lady began speaking. I tore my eyes away from the girl and looked at the woman talking to me now.

"Welcome to the Encanto, traveler! I apologize for our less than warm welcome, but we have never had an outsider in our town.", the lady explained politely. "My name is Alma Madrigal, and my family, the Madrigals, are the ... If I may ask, what brings you here?"

Finally, someone has talked to me! I was relieved that this person was nice too. I clear my throat and nod, "Nice to meet you! And it's really okay! I'm honored to be your first visitor though! And like I said, I'm not here for anything in particular, I just happened to stumble upon your town." I rub the back of my neck and look around and see a street vendor selling what looked like fruits and vegetables. I look back at Alma and shrug, "I might just buy some food and be on my way. But now that I'm here, I might spend a few days exploring... if you wouldn't mind that is."

Alma takes a moment to think about that, she briefly turns to look at the crowd and I notice some people nod and others shake their heads. Eventually she smiles at me and nods, "We would love to have you in the Encanto. And if it is food that you're looking for, then you are welcome to join my family and I for dinner at the casita."

"Oh I couldn't!", I answer, surprised by the invitation.

Alma shakes her head, "I insist!"

"Alright...", I sigh as I give in. "We can take my car if you'd like.", I offer.
Alma looked at my car and made a face between hesitation and disgust, before masking it with a smile. "I think it would be best if we walked."
"Oh. Alright.", I agree, not wanting to press the matter.
I quickly turn the car off, grab my backpack, and lock the doors. I wasn't completely sure about leaving my baby in an unfamiliar place, but the people here looked nice enough.

Alma watched me, and when I was ready, she began walking toward where her house was supposed to be. The tank of a girl behind Alma hadn't said anything yet and she followed after her, so I'm going to assume she was there for backup.
The crowd had mostly dispersed by now, so it was relatively easy to follow Alma. I say relatively, because soon I was joined by a young girl with curly hair, green glasses, and an energetic attitude.
"I'm Mirabel! Alma is my abuela! And I'm a part of the amazing Madrigals!", she tells me in a fit of bubbly excitement.

"It's really nice to meet you!", I say, trying and failing to match her level of enthusiasm.

"She hasn't told you about our family, has she?", she asks me with a glint of mischief in her eyes.

"Ummm...no?", I respond, unsure of how I was supposed to answer.

She grins at me and takes a deep breath—cue song.

I certainly wasn't expecting her to break into song, but as much as I found it weird, I wasn't complaining. She sang the first few stanzas and I just nodded along. Then from the part about her abuela, I started to listen more intently.

But let's be clear, Abuela runs this show,
She led us here so many years ago,
And every year our family blessings grow
There's just a lot you've simply got to know, so

'So Alma/Abuela is basically the founder of this place.', I think to myself.

Welcome to the Family Madrigal
The home of the Family Madrigal
Where all the people are fantastical and magical
I'm part of the Family Madrigal

"What do you mean by magical?", I question.

"We have gifts!", she answers with an excited smile.

"I'm sorry. Gifts? What kind of gifts?" I was starting to get a little suspicious of this 'Mirabel' girl, was she messing with me?

Sensing that I was getting wary, she launched into song again.

My tía Pepa
Her mood affects the weather
When she's unhappy
Well, the temperature gets weird

I point at the rumbling storm cloud above the woman's head in disbelief; it looked like something out of a cartoon.

My tío Bruno

—We don't talk about Bruno—

I jump as the townspeople join in, and whisper to Mirabel, "What did Bruno do?"

They say he saw the future, one day he disappeared

"He can see the future...?"

Mirabel nods and we continue to walk, "Yeah! And he's back now, I just haven't updated the song.", she giggled before continuing.

Oh! And that's my mom Julieta, here's her deal, whoa
The truth is, she can heal you with a meal, whoa
Her recipes are remedies for real
If you're impressed, imagine how I feel, Mom!

I stop completely to watch Mirabel's mom heal a man with a very broken arm and I'm left speechless at how quickly the arm snaps back into place. I was still staring, when I felt Mirabel begin to tug me away.

Welcome to the Family Madrigal
The home of the Family Madrigal
I know it sounds a bit fantastical and magical
But I'm part of the Family Madrigal

Two guys fell in love with Family Madrigal
And now they're part of the Family Madrigal
So yeah, Tío Félix married Pepa
And my dad married Julieta
That's how Abuela became an Abuela Madrigal

Well that part was fairly normal.
"So, I'm guessing everyone else in the family is either a sibling or a cousin?"
Mirabel nods at that.

So many kids in our house
So, let's turn the sound up, you know why?
I think it's time for a grandkid round up

Cousin Dolores can hear a pin drop
Camilo shapeshifts
Antonio talks to animals
My older sisters
Isabela and Luisa
One strong, one graceful
Perfect in every way

"So I'm counting three cousins and two sisters.", I count using my fingers. "And just so we're clear... that boy just shapeshifted into three different people..."

Grows a flower, the town goes wild
She's a perfect golden child
And Luisa's super strong
The beauty and the brawn do no wrong

"Plant magic and super strength...wow.." At this point I was starting to think I was having a fever dream.

That's life in the Family Madrigal
Now you know the Family Madrigal
Where all the people are fantastical and magical
That's who we are in the Family Madrigal, adiós!