3- One Whirlwind Song Later

As Mirabel finished, we'd made our way to the front steps of a colorful little home. Personally, I was feeling overwhelmed, but Mirabel seemed just as energetic as she was when she started. I gawked at her in silence and she waited for me to say something.
"I think I need to sit down.", I wheeze out as I take a seat on one of the front steps.

Mirabel seems to settle down and sits down beside me. "Sorry, too much?"

"No no... just, a bit much. I mean, I just found out magic is real, so just give me a minute.", I tell her with an airy chuckle. My head is reeling now and I'm not sure what's real anymore. I hold my head in my hands and we sit in silence for a moment while everything registers. Finally, I pick up my head and look at Mirabel, who was looking at the ground, looking a teeny bit guilty for my current state.
"So is this your house?", I ask quietly.
She looks relieved that I was talking now and stood up and faced the house. I did the same thing, and soon the doors to the house opened by itself. Then a window waved at us. Mirabel waved back and led me into the house.

I mentally add 'animated house' to the list of things I have to look out for now.

We walk into the dining room where food and plates were just being set up. The casita pulls back a chair for me, and not knowing what else to do, I take a seat. It was just about in the middle of the long ass table. 'I don't wanna sit here.', I tell myself as I stand up. I was about to move to the end of the table instead, but before I got the chance, people filed in from different directions and took their seats around me. Seeing as I didn't have another choice, I sighed heavily and sat myself back down.

Mirabel sat on one side of me and the buff lady from before sat on the other. I couldn't remember her name for the life of me... in fact, I didn't really catch anyone's names during that song. So far, I knew Alma, Mirabel, and Camilo (but only because his gift seemed the most fun). In front of me was another girl, only she had her hair tied up and a big red bow holding it in place. I really wished I'd paid more attention to the names in the song...

After everyone had sat down, Alma clapped her hands from the head of the table and all eyes were on her. "I'm sure you've all noticed our guest. She is new to the Encanto, and I expect everyone to make our visitor feel welcome!"

I sit up straight in my seat noticing that everyone's gaze has shifted from Alma to me.
She says a few more words about chores and meeting the daily quota and other mundane things, before concluding her speech. With that, everyone began to eat and the once orderly table had become a rambunctious group of people reaching for food items and talking over each other.
I was honestly fine with it, they seemed like a great family.
I relaxed a little and reached forward toward a bowl with a pile of rice in it. That's when I noticed two large eyes staring right at me. Through me even! Right into my soul even...
It was the red bow lady right across the table. I raise my eyebrows and give her a thin smile, then I lean toward Mirabel. "Why is she staring at me?"

I hear a squeak of some sort and when I look back at the girl in front of me, she's looking at her food. Mirabel leans into me this time and she whispers back, "She probably wants to ask you something."

"I do, actually.", I hear someone say.

I look at her and her huge red bow and she stares back. There was no way she heard what Mirabel said. Not over everyone else. Unless... Maybe this was the cousin with super hearing.

"Okay then! Ask away! Just, um, could you remind me what your name was again?"

She nods, "My name is Dolores. What was the thing you were riding when you came into town? It was loud..."

Suddenly, I had the attention of everyone at the table.
Stunned, I realized that my initial hunch was wrong. It seemed like these people really hadn't seen a car before. That, or I was about to make a fool of myself.

"It's a car! Vroom vroom, y'know?" I look around for any hint of recognition, but nothing.

"How does it work?"
"Are there tiny animals inside moving it?"
"Why is it so big?"
"Did you make it?"

I couldn't help but snicker at the sudden bombardment of questions. Tiny animals? Really?!
I shake my head and choke down the urge to laugh even more.
"There's an engine and a battery and a chassis and axle and a bunch of other machine parts that make it work. So no, there aren't tiny animals moving it, it's all machinery. It's big, because I wanted a big car. No I didn't make it, I just bought it from a company, and said company makes them."

They seem somewhat content with that answer, but the questions didn't end there.