Chapter Thirty-One - The Truth pt. 1

*CALLIE*

It was midnight. We were staying the night at Valeria's and Lorenzo's house. I still couldn't believe what had happened. Never in my entire life had I thought that something like that would happen.

Angelica was the light of our lives after Anna was kidnapped. She filled the tiny holes Anna left, but not entirely.

Mateo's parents were against us adopting the 8-year-old girl. They were sad and scared. They felt like they betrayed Anna, which was exactly what Mateo and I felt, but we couldn't let her go. She was young and innocent.

But after we adopted her, Mateo's parents loved her as much as we did.

You could say that it was selfish of us to use Angelica as a rebound, but it wasn't. We didn't use her. She was sent from God to us and I believed that till the day she escaped and betrayed us.

I still couldn't believe what she wrote in the letter she left behind.

"I never wanted this to happen, but you left me no choice. I am leaving, I will go to Giovanni, who promised me protection and promised me, my real family. You got me when I was 8 years old and I am grateful, but I always felt empty. I always felt that I don't fit in even though you made everything to make me feel at home. I can't stay longer, not when the man that I love, loves another. Not only that, but he hates me along with all of you. I hope you forget about me because I will. -Angelica."

She was very clear that she wanted to find her real family. It broke our hearts reading that letter. We felt that we failed her, that we didn't show our love enough to make her feel wanted. I felt like we could have done better.

Was I not a good mother to her? That was what I kept thinking.

"Are you okay?" I asked Mateo, who was thinking deeply as he looked outside the window.

He sighed, running his hand through his hair and closing his eyes. "I don't know...I feel helpless."

I walked toward him and hugged him from behind. My chin rested on his shoulder as we remained silent.

I was the one to break the silence when I decided to talk about the thing that I was afraid of.

"Mateo..." I started as he hummed in response. I was so scared to talk again about Leila, but I had to. "I know it is weird timing, but I don't think there's a right or wrong time to talk about this."

"What is it, mi amor?" he asked, facing me.

"Leila...I think you are right. Ever since we talked about her looking like Anna and my young self, I couldn't get the image out of my head. When we saw her today, it was like I saw myself. I was so scared to even think she could be Anna because Leila went through hell and...I don't even want to think that my Anna went through all that."

"What are you saying, Cal?"

"I am saying that we should get a DNA test."

"And how do we do that without telling her?" he asked in confusion.

"We could steal her blood while she sleeps," I said with a shrug, earning a look from him that said 'are you crazy.'

"Fine," he finally said. "But you are going to do it."

"Okay..."

"What if she woke up while you were taking it?"

"Hopefully, she doesn't," I replied.

Just then, we hear a knock on the door.

Mateo walked to the door and opened it to reveal Valeria and Lorenzo.