Four

***

After exiting the closet with Chrissy she stayed by him constantly chatting and flirting and drinking and dancing. She really was a lovely girl but Eddie just wasn't interested in her. He truly felt bad for stringing her on but in his defence, he was extremely drunk and high. Besides, it was just a game.

He was dancing with Chrissy when he realised that his plastic cup was now empty
"Hey Chrissy, I'm gonna go get another drink. You want one?" He asks
"Oh no thank you but I can come with you if you like?"
"No, it's okay you keep dancing I'll meet you back here, yeah?"
She nods and closes her eyes continuing to dance.

Eddie begins weaving his way through the crowd towards the kitchen occasionally having to apologise for bumping into people or having to dodge a swinging arm or two. When he finally reached the kitchen he realised that he wasn't the only one there
"Well, hello there Harrington," Eddie says slipping on his signature smirk.
"Munson," Steve says bitterly
"Oo what's got your panties in a twist?"
"Nothing." He grumbles
"Hmm sure," Eddie says shovelling punch into his red solo cup and downing it wiping off the liquid that trickled down his chin. He then jumps up on the counter to sit next to Steve.

"Are you still salty because you didn't get a turn during 7 minutes in heaven?" Eddie mocks fake pouting.
"No," Steve says again.
"Well then what is it?" Eddie prys Steve jumps down from the counter, his feet hitting the cold kitchen floor with a thump.
"It's nothing okay!" Steve snaps, irritation flooding his tone.
"Just... fuck off Munson. Don't act like you give a shit all of a sudden!" Steve bellows getting into Eddie's face. They're opposite each other now. Steve on the ground, Eddie on the counter, Steve in-between Eddie's legs, gripping the counter on either side of Eddie's waist. Eddie was shocked. He'd never seen Steve this way; furious and panting, his face way too close to Eddie's.
"Woah chill out dude." Eddie puts his hands up silently wavering for peace. Steve bows his head and lets go of the counter; he is still extremely close to Eddie. So close that Eddie can smell his aftershave and general body musk. It's quite a nice smell if you ignore the prominent stench of alcohol lingering around him.
"I- I'm sorry I'm just really drunk." He says his brown eyes boaring back into Eddie's own. The gaze is intense and Eddie feels his ears start to ring. He opens his mouth to speak but the words don't come to him. Steve's intense gaze flicks down for a small moment. It's so small yet Eddie noticed it. He feels himself lick his lips which were suddenly extremely dry and it almost seemed as if Steve was moving closer and closer, closing his eyes-

"COPS RUN, COPS!"

Someone bellows snapping the tension like a dry twig.
"Oh shit, fuck come on!" Harrington said as he grabs Eddie's arm pulling him into the crowded living room. He drags him through the thick crowd, not even trying to apologize to the people he was shoving. They reach the back door and both boys rush outside, the cold evening air biting at their faces with is sharp teeth.
"There's nowhere to go!" Eddie exclaims. Steve examines their surroundings before pointing to his left,
"Look there. Quick jump the fence!" Steve shouts and Eddie complies in desperation. But Eddie doesn't even need to move as Steve pushes him before running himself. The fence was tall so they had to have a run-up. Steve was good at sports (of course) and had no problem with jumping over the fence swiftly and gracefully. Eddie goes next. He isn't that strong but he has jumped enough fences to know what he was doing. They both dropped to the other side, gasping for air Eddie's drunk mind stumbled, and so did he, but he caught himself on a very conveniently placed bicep. There was no time to talk. They had to run.

***

They ran for what felt like hours through miles of woodland before slowing to a stop. Their lungs were begging for air and their legs started to give in.
"I think we should be okay now," Steve says breathlessly. Eddie nods in agreement before regarding Harrington's arm cradled in his clutch and snatching it away.