Chapter Seven: Hunter's and Omega's First Solo Mission [Part One]

FERN'S POV

"This isn't smart." I huffed, crossing my arms in concern.

"She won the bet, fair and square." Hunter shrugged as he loaded the last crate of supplies on the small shuttle we rented from Cid, who has unhappy about our debt growing by the day. "Besides, this mission is nothing compared to others we've done as a squad."

"You say that now, Hunter." I argued. "But how many times have we gone on a 'simple' mission and come out almost getting blown up by the Empire?"

"Fern," Hunter said, turning to me and clasping his hands on my biceps. "We'll be fine. It's a simple supplies drop on Corusant. We'll be back within a few days."

"Corusant, Hunter." I sighed. "The capital of the Galatic Empire."

"There's no way to convince you, huh?"

"Not really."

"Hm." he scoffed, before leaning forward to plant a kiss on my forehead. "We'll be back soon."

"Hunter, I'm ready!" Omega sprinted up to us with a huge smile on her face. She was practically flying she was so excited to go on this solo mission with Hunter. It was her one request in a bet against the sergeant in a game of Dejarik. I knelt down to her level and placed a hand on her shoulder.

"Rules, Omega. You listen to Hunter and do not let him out of your sight. Understand? If I find out you two were separated—"

"Don't worry, Fern." she laughed. "Hunter chose the easiest and safest mission for us."

"All the more reason for you to become curious..." I rolled my eyes, but nevertheless I patted her shoulder and pushed her along. After I rose to my feet, Echo, Tech, and Wrecker joined my side to see Hunter and the young clone off. The sergeant gave me one last nod before shutting the hatch. As the small shuttle ascended, I sighed in defeat. Next to me, Echo chuckled. "How much do you want to bet they'll bring the shuttle back in flames?"

"Oh, I'll bet on it." I joked, but internally...I just hope they both return safely.

———————————————————————

THIRD PERSON POV

After Hunter sent the shuttle into hyperspace, he glanced over to the young clone, who was practically levitating out of her seat. He chuckled. "Are you that excited for this mission? It's just a supplies drop."

"I've been wanting to do this forever!" the young clone grinned. "I've also never been to Corusant!"

"Listen, kid," Hunter said. "Corusant is not a safe place. It's one of the most populated systems in the galaxy. It's very easy to get lost, kidnapped, mugged, you name it. This is not a vacation, you hear. We are going to deliver these supplies, get paid, and get out, understood?"

"Yes, sir."

"Good girl." Hunter nodded.

Not long after, the litte ship exited hyperspace and began its descent on Corusant. Omega smushed her cheek against the viewport to look at the cosmopolitan surface. It was night, and she awed at the luminoused cityscape. "It's so big! It's amazing..."

"The coordinates are taking us down in more urban marketed areas. Stay alert." Hunter said.

"Yes, sir."

Soon enough, Hunter touched the shuttle down in a public hangar, changed into his civilian disguise, paid the rent, and, with help from the young clone, unloaded the cargo onto hover-carts. "Follow me." he said, and the two of them headed through the busy streets of Corusant, each pushing one cart. After about a mile into the city, they finally reached their destination. However, something was not right. The store front they were dropping off supplies had been vandalized, with shattered windows and the door ripped off its hinges and had been chucked inside the isolated place. The lights were on inside, and they could see shelves and merchandise scattered across the floor, as if a herd of beasts had stampeded through. There was broken glass everywhere.

"Stay close." Hunter said in a low tone, gesturing with his hand to his side. They pushed the carts inside the disaster and Omega followed him as he slowly studied the situation, blaster in hand. "Where do you think the client is?" the young clone breathed.

"I'm not sure." Hunter whispered back. Their boots crunched quietly on the glass that covered almost every inch of the cemented floor as they moved further into the store. Hunter then held up his fist to signal halt. He caught the sound of someone crying. Omega heard it, too. "Is someone there?" she called. "We're not here to hurt you."

"Omega, wait." Hunter said, but she had already stepped on ahead.

"Come on out." Omega urged kindly.

"Are you here alone?" a small female voice squeaked. Hunter and Omega noticed a little head poking out behind a toppled shelf that once contained books. Omega smiled and held out her hand. "Yeah, that's it. We're not hear to hurt you. What's your name?"

"A-aisa." the little girl sniffled. Her deep blue eyes were locked on Hunter's weapon and she cowered back behind the shelf.

"Where are your parents, kid?" the enhanced clone asked.

Aisa whimped and cowered back behind the shelf. Omega glared back at her guardian. "Good job, Sergeant, you made her cry again. And put the blaster away, you're scaring her." Hunter stared at the young clone before doing what she asked. Omega slowly approached and crouched down in front of the child, smiling kindly. "Hi, there. I'm Omega. Are you hurt?"

"No, I'm not." Aisa wiped her tears away. "But, the bad guys, they took my mommy and daddy away."

"What type of bad guys?" Omega gasped.

"I-I don't know..." Aida frowned. "I remember one of them saying that my daddy owed them money...But, we're poor. I think they took my parents away because we're poor!"

"What did these men look like?" Hunter asked, kneeling down slowly next to Omega so he wouldn't appear threatening. He noticed that Aisa looked just a little younger than Omega. "Did you see them?"

Aisa nodded. "They were all in white armor with black faces."

"Clones." Hunter said, and sighed.

"We have to help her." Omega said, and Hunter immediately shook his head. "I don't think so, kid. This isn't like taking on a few clones to break into a brig. This is Corusant, the captial of the Galatic Empire. It is the equivalent of breaking into a citadel. It's impossible. Especially with just the two of us, and no offense kid, you are not a trained soldier."

"But Aisa, she can't just stay here to defend for herself."

"We can take her to a service center. They'll take care of her from there."

"But, but Hunter!" Omega protested. "She needs her family! How would you feel if you were taken away from me and I was abandoned and dumped into some stranger's care? You have fought to save and protect me. How's Aisa any different?"

Hunter was speechless. Omega huffed before continuing. "Besides, we still need to get paid for this job. Aisa's parents must've had the credits to pay us for the supplies since they hired us in the first place, right?"

"Omega," Hunter put a hand on her shoulder. "It's just not possible without getting caught ourselves."

Omega's shoulders drooped, while Aisa hung her head and began sniffling softly in her arms. Suddenly, the young clone perked up, as a brilliant idea popped into her head. "You know, Hunter, that is one way in."