16: Betrayal in it's finest

They both turned to look behind them when the lights randomly turned on, both of them looked at each other confused, the electricity had been cut of here for decades at least. Max put the headphones around her neck and started inching towards the light.

Alex followed after her hesitantly, not wanting to be alone in this creepy ass place. "I promise I'm gonna stop asking this, but..." Max started, looking behind to Alex and gripping her hand tightly. Alex pushed Max behind her a little, wanting to keep her safe even if it wouldn't do much.

"Yeah, I see it too," Alex reassured, falling back into darkness as the light switched off again. The light transferred to the one next to Max, making them turn again.

Alex left the room first, pulling Max behind her as an act of protection. They followed the trail of the lights, not entirely sure where it was leading.

"What are the odds that Vecna," Alex asked, noting Max's fright.

"Pretty damn certain," Max said back. Both of them follow the lights again, gaining attention from the rest of the gang as it led to a grand chandelier in the dining room, the light slowly getting brighter until the bulb just stopped and became dark.

"It's like Christmas lights," Robin said to them, looking over at Nancy specifically, "The Christmas lights,"

"Yeah," Nancy nodded, "When Will was in the Upside Down, the lights...it was like they came to life,"

"Vecna's here," Lucas gasped quietly, if Vecna was really in the house then they wanted to be quiet, in case he could somehow hear them, "In this house, just on the other side,"

The lights flickered for a second before turning off.

"I think he just left the room," Robin said to them after a short silence.

"Did he hear us?" Max asked, fear rising as she moved closer to Alex, if that was even possible.

"Can he see us?" Steve asked to no-one in particular.

"Headphones," Alex whispered to Max, watching as the girl pulled them up from around her neck and put them on, blasting Kate Bush in hopes that would protect her from Vecna if he came back for her.

"Wait, wait. Everybody turn of your flashlights, and spread out," Nancy ordered, everyone obliged and went around the house, flashlights turned off. Apart from Steve who stood there dumbfounded,

"We're not gonna be ale to see if we turn our flashlights off," He mumbled, watching everyone spread out in the darkness.

Alex made sure she was always in range of Max, not too close so they were still spread out, but close enough that she could always see the ginger.

"I got him!" Robin exclaimed, making them turn to her, "Got him" Robin repeated, making the two girls share a look and run over to Robin, her flashlight illuminated and pointed at the ceiling, but then it turned off, "Well, i had him,"

But Steve's lit up next, "Oh, Whoa," He whispered, holding his hands up to the ceiling too, "Oh, I think he's moving," Steve said, moving with his flashlight to keep the light, "He's moving,"

Everyone followed Steve as he walked into the main hallway, following the light up the stairs, everyone was staring at his flashlight. Which was Vecna? But then it turned off, like Robin's.