17. the piggyback - part one

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN — THE PIGGYBACK
PART ONE

𑁍

STEVE FOUND a secluded place to park the camper, and the remaining of the group gathered together one last time before they went their separate ways. Jackie paused her music, and went to stand beside Dustin.

"Okay," Nancy broke the silence. "I want to run it through one more time. Phase one."

"We meet Erica at the playground," Robin answered instantly. "She'll signal Max and Lucas when we're ready."

"Phase two."

"Max baits Vecna," Steve spoke now. Jackie refrained from shuddering. "He'll go after her, which'll put him in his trance."

"Phase three."

"Me and Eddie draw the bats away," Dustin replied.

"Four."

"We take a nice trip to Vecna's bat-free lair, and set that bitch on fire," Jackie said, scrunching her nose. "Again."

"Nobody moves onto the next phase unless we've all copied," Nancy stated. "Nobody deviates from the plan, no matter what. Got it?"

"Got it," they said in unison.

Jackie gathered up her things, and the others did the same. She shut the RV door firmly closed behind her as the rest of them ventured into the trailer park. Steve was the only one who waited back for her. She couldn't hide her smile.

"Hey," he said, starting to walk again.

"Hi."

"Look, if anything happens in there-"

"Steve," she interrupted, shaking her head. Slowly, she grabbed one of his hands and pulled him to a stop. "Nothing's happening to us. We're gonna be fine."

Steve gnawed at his bottom lip. "I just don't want there to be any unfinished words between us."

A lump caught in her throat. She peered up at him, but didn't get the chance to respond, because Robin shouted, "lovebirds! Let's get a move on!"

Reluctantly, they stepped away from each other, and resumed after the others. They rushed to Eddie's trailer, locking the door once they'd all gotten inside. Steve dropped his belongings onto the ground, and grabbed the rope.

"Be careful," Dustin said.

"Thanks buddy," Steve nodded, lightly hitting his arm. "Here goes nothing."

He easily climbed up the sheets, and when he got to the other side, he flipped onto the floor, landing on his feet. Steve glanced upwards with a smug look in his dark eyes.

Robin snorted. "What does he want us to do? Applaud?"

"I think he's forgetting that literally none of us were the cheerleaders on his basketball court," Jackie rolled her eyes, tossing Steve's things, watching him catch the bag. Jackie hesitated, and then pulled Dustin into a hug, shocking him, as well as herself. She pulled away. "Don't do anything stupid."

Dustin's eyes watered. "I feel like I should be telling you that."

"Shut up, dipshit," she retorted, smiling. She ruffled his hair, and then grabbed the rope, heart racing.

Steve caught her by the waist before she had the opportunity to stumble awkwardly onto the ground. She gripped at his arms to steady herself, and then flicked his skin before she could forget her own advice to not do anything stupid, because she was incredibly tempted to kiss him. Which would be an idiotic move, especially now. She had no idea what was going on between them.