11

Ivy swallows her fear down and approaches the double door of the club while discreetly trying to avoid the bouncer who is talking to someone and looking in the other direction.

Her head bursts in pain as loud music explodes in her ears as soon she takes a first step inside. She avoids bumping into anyone and approaches the bartender while slightly cowering under her hoodie intimidated by the people around her.

She stands near the bar and glances at the familiar bartender who is busy serving drinks. He almost didn't see her standing in front of him at first but he gives her full attention after realising her real identity.

"Hey, Ivy right?" Ivy jumps a little in surprise at his loud voice and vigorously nods her head.

"You are late." He frowns staring at her small frame up and down.

"Club owner is waiting for you and by the way I am James. I was the one with whom you talked early this morning." He tells her.

"Umm hii." Ivy says back a little loudly so he could hear her over the loud music.

"Matthew!" He shouts to the other bartender.

"I am going to the sir's office. Will be right back." Matthew brushes him off and continues to flirt with the rich ladies standing in front of him while pouring drinks for them.

"Follow me." Ivy silently does what he says. They soon reach an silent, secluded area.

"Again how old were you?" James asks curiously while looking down at her face.

"Erm almost 22." Ivy lies again while secretly crossing her fingers hoping that he would actually believe her again just like he did on the phone call early morning.

This job is really important for Ivy. She needed to really get it. Her mind goes back to her friend Cherry from the orphanage who yesterday took her to meet her friend. He created her fake ID and it was a great help. 

"You look so young though." James laughs it off and Ivy gives him a small smile but James failed to see the uneasiness clouded in her eyes and actions.

Finally they reaches the owner's office.

"Our sir is a little shitty man. Don't get him to crawl up your nerves." He whispers in her ear and opens the door.

After gaining access, Ivy takes a deep breath in and enters inside. At the boss's order, James leaves but not before offering a smile to Ivy.

"So Ivy huh?" The gruff man with a huge belly asks.

"Y-yes sir." Ivy responses back meekly.

"Speak louder girl." Ivy flinches at the sternness his voice holds.

"Yes sir." She clenches her fists, following his words.

He stands up from the chair and makes his way towards her. Ivy tries to get up too but he places his hands on her trembling shoulders.

"You are a cute looking timid girl and the people who come here are close to monsters. They would chew you alive." Ivy flinches at the closeness when he leans down to whispers in her ear.

She pushes his hands away and stands up.

"I really need this job, sir." Ivy pleads while creating a distance between them.

"I would love to see you around here." He clears his throat and goes back to his seat. He rings James and soon he enters inside.

"Give her the uniform. She would be joining from tomorrow." With that, the sir waves them off.

"Well that escalated really quick. Congrats Ivy." James pats her shoulder in a friendly way and gives her a plastic bag.

"Your uniform is inside. Have a good night. I would look forward working with you." A little comfortable in James's presence, she genuinely smiles at him.

Ivy clutches the bag to her chest and makes her way outside the club while passing the bouncer who is still busy talking with guys around his age.

Ivy kicks the small pebbles on the road as she slowly follows the path back to the orphanage. Her conscience startles when a loud honk sounds from behind her back. Looking back she finds three black cars stopped behind her.

Scared, Ivy clutches the bag in death grip. But the fear dulls a bit as the door opens and a guard from Santiago family steps outside. Ivy couldn't understand why is she keep bumping with this dangerous family.

"Mam! Capo is asking you to join them." The guard tells her in a robotic tone. Knowing completely the stubbornness of the whole family, Ivy follows him towards the car.

He opens the door letting her slide in. Her eyes makes contact with Valentino. He is watching her with a emotionless look displayed on his face.

Now Ivy remembers that she didn't even thanked him when he saved her life. The small fear just intensifies and she swallows the small lump down her throat hoping that he is not angry at her under that unemotional gaze.

Get early access to the completed book on patreon. Link is in the profile ❤️