Vol. 4, Chapter 4 - Prelude To Battle

(Part 1)

(Third Person POV)

It was Friday of the first weekend after the group formations had started. Sakayanagi had contacted Ichinose and asked her to come to the cafe.

That day, an hour before the meeting at the cafe, Sakayanagi had extended a sudden invitation to Ichinose. It wouldn't be strange for Ichinose to reject the invitation if she already had things scheduled.

Inviting Ichinose on such short notice was a strategy to not give her the time to think. Had she been told a few days in advance, Ichinose would have speculated on what the meeting would be about.

Depending on the occasion, she might even ask a classmate like Kanzaki for help. This was just a precautionary measure.

Before they could get down to business, they made some small talk. Sakayanagi first asked why Ichinose accepted her sudden invite, despite everything she did to her - exposing her past.

To Sakayanagi, it wouldn't be a surprise if Ichinose rejected her invite after what happened. However, to her surprise, Ichinose hadn't only accepted her invite, but she didn't seem to resent her at all.

After exchanging a few more words, Ichinose addressed their meeting.

"So... What do you want to talk to me about?"

Not wanting to make things awkward, she asked Sakayanagi to urge her to get to the point.

"As you wish, I'll get to the point, but you might not be very comfortable with that either."

Ichinose mumbled to herself, "Please have mercy", as Sakayanagi said this as a warning.

Sakayanagi addressed Class B closing in on them. Despite the gap in point between her class and Ryuen's class to be double that of the current class points possessed by Class B, it was only natural for her to be wary of Class B's rise, thus she wanted prevent the gap from closing.

However, by doing so, she also pointed out how Ichinose's class was left out of the competition. Indeed the amount of points between her class and Ryuen's class was 26 from the last special exam, as of July the gap was reduced, but only by 2 points. You could sense the strong will of Ryuen and his class to never be surpassed by Ichinose's class.

The way they operate is different. Ichinose thought that her class could close the gap by preventing tardiness and other violations, however if there was a special exam, they'd be at the mercy of Ryuen, who was known to utilize subterfuge. On top of that, after Ryuen's class rose from Class D to B, there were no holes found in his class, thus making it difficult for Ichinose's class to close the gap using merely good grades, and maintaining good behavior.

Recognizing just how formidable Ryuen is, Sakayanagi pointed out how he was able to keep his class from doing any form of misconducts. Unlike before, his class hasn't caused any problems lately. This proved to be a hole in Ichinose's plans to catch up in points in daily life.

If she can't close the gap using their test scores and maintaining good behavior, her only option is the special exams; something that she knew Ryuen would have the upper hand in.

Despite Ichinose's apparent discomfort for having been told all this, Sakayanagi didn't relent, and continued talking harshly.

Right now, Ryuen was Ichinose's biggest hurdle, and was an opponent she wanted to avoid as much as possible. However, both girls knew that it can't be helped. 

"There's also the issue of being overtaken by Class D. Even though your class is ahead in points, thanks to their performance last exam, the difference in points between you two is less than 150. They've overtaken Ryuen's Class before. I wouldn't put it past them if they were to do so with yours again this time around."