XI - Car Problems

"Shit. Bells it's not starting." Jeremiah says continuously turning the key.

"We have to get Taylor in like ten minutes." She urges.

"It won't start." He says firmly.

"Screw it, I need to go get her." Belly hops out of the car and starts jogging in hopes of reaching the bus stop in time.

Jeremiah gets out of the car as well and pops the hood, "Shit." He says under his breath.

I get out of the car and look over his shoulder. "Move, let me look."

"What are you gonna do?" He moves out of the way with a scoff.

I look over with a flat face, "I took three years of auto classes, idiot."

Looking through the hood, I go through the checklist of what could be wrong with the car. I keep coming up with blanks, none of the easy to fix things are wrong. 

"Go any slower." He groans.

"Do you want to fix it yourself?" I snap. That shuts him up. "It's the alternator," I say.

He looks dumbfounded.

I sigh, "The wheel looking thing with tubes coming out at the top here."

"Oh," He nods in understanding. "So what's wrong with it?"

I let out a big breath in thought and rummage my hands around carefully. "I think it's the belts."

He raises his eyebrows in question.

"It's not anything I can't fix." I assure. "Go get me a gr-" I stop myself and translate to Jeremiah language, "Big tweezers."

He runs into the house and I look more at the car, the belts are just tangled and clogged. While looking closer at the belts I smell a potent oil, stronger than a normal car would be emitting. I look up at the hood and surely enough there's oil splatter on it, something is leaking. I'll check it out when I'm done with the alternator.

"Here." He hands me a kitchen tong.

"What is this supposed to do?" I furrow my eyebrows and look at him like he's an idiot.

"I dunno, they're the closest thing to big tweezers we got. Otherwise we just have the ones you use to pluck your eyebrows." He starts pinching in between my eyebrows.

"Stop it!" I swat his hand away. "Just give me it," I grab the tongs from his other hand and bend over the car.

While I'm untangling the belts Jeremiah is being more annoying then usual. "Will you shut up?" I snap.

"Will you go faster?" He shoots back.

"I'm helping you, for free. Don't even start." I pause, "There."

"Sweet!" He runs to the car and sticks the key in, I yell for him to wait but he turns the key before registering what I said.

Oil from the car sprays all over my face. I squeeze my eyes shut, my mind isn't registering that I could move out of the splash zone so all I can do is wait for him to turn the car off.

And he does.

"Shit," He gets out and runs over.

I wipe it of of my face and slowly open my eyes, I'm so pissed. But my action is quickly stopped by burning, "Shit! I think you got it in my eyes." I put my hands up to my eyes and squeeze them shut again. "Fuck, dude, it fucking burns."

I can hear him panic for a second before putting something up to my face and wiping my eyes. I open my eyes a little, safe. I open them to their normal size and look at him, his shirt is off and in his hand, now covered with oil from my face.

"I'm sorry." He admits. "That was my bad."

He wipes a bit of the remaining oil off of my eyebrow with his thumb.

"No way, really?" I mock. "You're oil cap is off. I'm gonna go shower." I look down at myself, covered with oil.