THIRTY: IT'S TOO LATE

"What are you waiting for, asshole? Hmm? I'm right here." Max spoke out as she held up her lantern in the attic. To be truthful, Eve hated the feeling of being in there, opting to stay by a wooden beam as she held her arms over her chest.

The whole plan felt rushed and flawed - if one person went down they were all following quickly - the risk was too high.

"I know you can hear me," Max continues, "I know you can read my thoughts. Even the worst ones... Maybe mostly the worst ones."

Eve watched as Max put the lantern down, taking off her Walkman and headphones, before sitting down on the little rug on the floor.

It felt like Max's safety blanket had been discarded, and she was now in danger - the thought of it made Eve feel sick.

She moved closer to Lucas, the boy sensing the scared girl behind him. He put out his arm for her, and she held onto it tightly, both of them needing it as they worried for the girl in front of them.

"I thought about what you said," Max said quietly, "about how I wanted my brother to die. I thought that you were just trying to upset me. To anger me. But you weren't, were you? You were just telling the truth."

Eves eyebrows furrowed as she moved closer to Lucas, the sound of shuffling making Max look over for a second, her eyes already watering as she looked at her friend and her ex girlfriend.

Her eyes went back on the lantern, thinking to herself... if Eve could open up, so can I.

"Billy... he, he made my life living hell... at every chance he got," Max continued on, her voice thick as she felt back tears, "so, sometimes... when I would lie in bed at night I would- I would pray..." she sniffed, "I would pray that something would happen to him. Something awful. I knew that he drove too fast so I would imagine him crashing... Dying in that stupid car. I just... I wanted him out of my life. Forever."

Eve's breath haltered for a second, she knew what it was like to want that person gone. She knew what Max was going through, and she made her go through it alone.

"I wanted him to disappear," Max admitted, "the day that he died... I think that's why I just stood there. Watched. Not because I was scared or... weak. But because... I didn't know if he deserved to be saved. And I've tried to forgive myself... I've tried, but, I can't. I can't."

Max was silent for a moment, Eve closing her eyes as she took a deep breath.

When her eyes opened once again, Max was still silent, and both Eve and Lucas shared a look of worry.

They waited a couple moments, both walking closer to her quietly.

"Max?" Eve whispered, leaning closer to the girl, when it hit her.

Max's eyes were white.

"Max!" Eve yelled then, jumping down in front of her and shaking her shoulders, "can you hear me?"

"Max!" Lucas joined in, yelling too as his hands waved in front of her face.

Max's breathing picked up, worrying Eve even more as she held the girls face on her hands.

"I fucking hate this plan, Lucas," Eve said to the boy, still holding Max's face, "I don't trust it."

"Eve-" Lucas started, but Eve shook her head.