20. Ready

It had been a whole day since it was announced that both of Akaashi's parents had passed away. The whole kingdom was in mourning and that included their soon to be crowned King. Akaashi had fought himself through getting ill, trying not to let himself get sick like always. Each of his sisters visited and endless gifts from his people were sent to the castle.

He was at the moment trying to gather the courage to get up and go talk to the council. He was dressed in darker clothing, a practice the whole kingdom was familiar with. He would wear black until the funeral.

He opened his door to see Bokuto standing there, in much more fitting clothing. It was all black.

"Keiji..."

"Hi Kotarou."

"Would you like me to watch the girls?"

"It's alright. The nanny has them."

"Are you sure?"

"I'm sure." Akaashi took in a shaky breath. "I need to go put my crown on. Would you like to join me?"

Bokuto held out his hand. "I don't think I've ever seen you with your crown."

Akaashi took his hand. "It's silver with small white stones. I adore it."

"It sure does sound pretty."

Akaashi nodded. "You do know that when I am crowned you don't have to be, correct? We can crown you at a later date. I can even have it dismissed."

"It's okay. I just don't know if I'm cut out to be king. I can't even read or write."

"I can have that fixed."

Bokuto nodded. He sighed softly. "If I can do anything at all to help you, let me know."

"I just need you to be here for me."

"Gotcha."

Akaashi looked up at Bokuto and smiled sadly. "I love you."

"I love you too Keiji. So much."

Akaashi stopped walking and looked up. His heart ached that his mother never got to actually see him in this light. Bokuto pulled him closer and held him against his chest.

"I have you no matter what."

"They're still looking for Satoru."

Bokuto held him tighter. "I know."

Akaashi kissed his cheek. "I really do have to go get my crown. I was not allowed to have it in my room so it upstairs with Amaya's."

"Is she also wearing hers?"

"Yes. The little ones were never gifted one so they will be wearing the very best clothes they have."

Bokuto pulled him back a bit. "And as your partner what will I do?"

"I will find you some clothing. Believe me, you will have the hearts of my people soon." He turned back around and headed towards a set of stairs. At the top of the stairs he whispered to a guard in front of a door. The door was unlocked and opened for him. Akaashi led Bokuto through the room. In the room there were cases with crowns, each one delicate and dark besides a few gold tiaras and a singular gold crown.

Akaashi reached the end and picked up a small crown. It was dark silver with white stones just as he'd said. He looked at the mirror in front of him and took a deep breath. Slowly, he eased it onto his head. He looked to the place where it had been sitting and stared at his name plate. "Kotarou."

"Yes?"

"This is my name." He pointed to the wood plate.

Bokuto leaned down. "It says Akaashi Keiji, right?"

"Mhmm."

"Can you write it down? Please?"

Akaashi smiled. "I can write it down in a bit. I promise."

"Great." Bokuto smiled at Akaashi. "You look so pretty with a crown."

Akaashi shrugged. "I try." He touched Bokuto's hair. "You like it lifted, right?"

"I do."

Akaashi hummed. "Let's go find you some gel."

Bokuto followed Akaashi down the halls. They came to a bathroom and Akaashi found the gel he had been looking for. They went back to the hallway and sat against a wall, Akaashi running his fingers through Bokuto's hair. It stuck up just like Bokuto liked except for the ends, which Akaashi trimmed with his knife. He held onto Bokuto afterwards, just wanting to stay like this.

"It's nearly time for dinner."

"We can eat in your room."

"No. I need my sisters to know that I'm there for them." Akaashi stood slowly and helped Bokuto up. "Come on."

Bokuto followed him down the hall to the dining area. His youngest sisters were being led in, all in simple black dresses. Amaya was already sat, eyes red and puffy. Akaashi went to each of his sisters and kissed the top of their heads. He hugged Amaya tight and sat down in his usual seat.

That night dinner was silent. Going back to everyone's rooms was silent.

Bokuto undressed Akaashi, just watching and waiting. Akaashi washed his hands and put on lotion before leading Bokuto to the windowsill seat. He laid against Bokuto and allowed him to run his fingers through his hair, heart heavy.

"My parents did love each other."

"Yeah?"

"My father would massage my mother's shoulders while she was pregnant and held her hand. He even personally guarded her for months. Every morning they shared tea before breakfast. Every night they would each read a copy of the same book and talked about it in the morning. He was so kind to my mothers. Both. My biological mother had suffered during her pregnancy with me and he knelt by her bed every night to keep her safe."

"It really does sound lovely."

Akaashi looked up. "Can we do things like that? Drink tea in the morning? Take walks? Share a bed as often as possible?"

Bokuto kissed him carefully. "I'll do whatever you ask of me."

"Out of respect or out of love?"

"Out of all of them. I will be by your side for as long as I live and that's a promise."

Akaashi smiled. Tears started to come to his eyes. "I love you so much."

"What's wrong? Why are you crying?"

"I'm so scared... what if I can't do this? I don't want to take you from your family. I don't want to have to stay away from my family. I want my people to love me but what if I can't do that?!"

"Hey, hey, hey. Easy Keiji. I don't feel like you're stealing me. We could invite them here. They love you Keiji. Everyone loves you. You are the leader your people need."

Akaashi shook his head. "I don't think I'll be that great ever. This is so much."

"I'll be right here by your side the whole time. I may not be smart but I am here and I will always be here." Akaashi nodded. He sat up and wrapped his arms around Bokuto. Bokuto hugged him close, rubbing his back.

"Don't... don't let go. I need you right now."

"I know honey, I know. I have you. I'm not letting go."

Akaashi sobbed into his chest, shaking. Bokuto just held him and tried not to cry. Akaashi didn't stop until he was asleep, still clinging to Bokuto. Bokuto put him in bed and changed. He slid under their now shared blankets and held Akaashi around the waist. Akaashi leaned into his touch, sighing heavily. Bokuto just wished they didn't have to lay like this in such conditions.