Vol. 2 Ch. 35 - As the End Begins

"In these coming years
Many things will change
But the way I feel
Will remain the same."

- The End of all things

***************************************************************************************

[Akumi's POV]

"Katori-kun... What are you trying to say?"

"Akumi, I know what I promised you. But if anything happens, I just want you to be ready."

"Katori-kun..."

"I know what I proposed earlier sounds difficult and I apologize in advance if ever that time actually comes. But can you promise me that if it does happen, I can count on you?"

"You know that I can't say no when you look at me like that Katori-kun... You're really unfair..."

"I know I am. And I'm sorry. Thank you Akumi. I trust you."

That was the conversation I had with you more than six months ago. I was planning for the best but you were planning for the worst. I never thought that you would go to such lengths.

"But why...? I know that we've planned this together but now that it's happening... Why do I still feel unprepared...?"

All the thoughts are pouring into my mind as we were on our way to the hospital. After Katori-kun lost consciousness, I immediately called for help, and fortunately, the emergency responders were quick to the scene.

I wanted to cry but I'm doing my best to still myself and not fall apart. I tried to recall every important thing that Katori-kun and I talked about before. It's happening now regardless if I want it or not. Even if I still feel unprepared, I need to be.

Because that's what I promised him.

As we arrived at the hospital, they placed Katori-kun on the movable bed and rushed him to the ICU.

"Please wait here."

"But I'm with him, can I at least"

"I'm sorry ma'am but we can't let anyone in. Please wait here while we do our best."

"O—Okay..." I just nod to one of the nurses who stopped me from entering with them.

I just took a seat and the only thing that's running on my mind is what to do next or if I'm doing it right. I patiently waited near the room until my eyes couldn't keep up with me.

Time had passed and I felt someone waking me up.

"Ma'am, you're with the patient, right?"

I wiped my eyes trying to wake myself up and replied,

"Y—yes. How is he?"

"He's fine for now. We have moved him to his room. If you want to see him, I can tell you where he's at."

"Yes please..."

The nurse assisted me to get to Katori-kun's room. As I head inside, there I find him lying unconscious on the bed. There were medical devices all over him and he was breathing through a tube. The worst nightmare I could ever think of is happening in front of me.