↳ 26

(A/N - Hi guys. I just noticed a few errors in the previous two chapters - nothing major though. The mistakes have been corrected and that's why you were probably notified of the republication of those chapters. Don't worry, nothing in the plot has been altered, you can go ahead and read this chapter. Enjoy your reading!)

Ricky sighs, dropping down on his bed. Autumn was sitting on the edge, glancing at her best friend every once in a while. She had just arrived at Ricky's place, intending to talk with Ricky about his persistent feelings for Nini and the impending shift their relationship would suffer after they almost kissed. However, she didn't know where to start.

"I know there's something on your mind, A. What's wrong?" The boy finally broke the silence, slightly raising his body so he could look properly at her.

"I know you almost kissed Nini." She replied in a soft tone. "She's an amazing girl and, yes, you've liked her for a very long time and at first I didn't agree with the way you handled your break-up at first, but I'm here for you."

"I-" Ricky began to speak, before being interrupted by her hand on his shoulder.

"Let me finish, please. Nini's a lucky girl, and she really likes you. I just wanted to say that you have my complete support on this. I understand it wasn't easy for you to be there for me when I started seeing EJ because you didn't get along, but you still had my back. And now I have yours." Autumn declared, reaching for his hand and giving it a gentle squeeze.

Ricky smiled, squeezing her hand back. "Thank you, A. I truly appreciate this. I want to do something special for her, maybe write her a song as an opening night gift. I was wondering if you could help me do that..." 

"I'd be delighted to help you," Autumn said, a teasing smile on her lips. "And remember, when you get married, I want to be her bridesmaid!"

﹏﹏﹏

Miss Jenn walked into the gym, taking a deep breath. The space had been decorated with a little stage at the front, where in a few hours her students would perform the play they've been working so hard on, and multiple rows of chairs for the audience to sit in. Everything looked perfect.

⠂⠄⠄⠂⠂⠄⠄⠂⠂⠄⠄⠂⠂⠄⠄⠂⠂⠄⠄⠂⠂⠄⠄⠂⠂

ᴍɪss ᴊᴇɴɴ, ᴅʀᴀᴍᴀ ᴛᴇᴀᴄʜᴇʀ

We were able to secure the gym as our performance space tonight. I made a video on my phone of three rats fighting over a Milk Dud at the El Rey Theatre, and the school board and principal caved.

(looking around)  I just like to take a moment alone on opening night before all the chaos begins. Savor the solitude.

⠂⠄⠄⠂⠂⠄⠄⠂⠂⠄⠄⠂⠂⠄⠄⠂

At that very moment, the double doors that led to the gym opened once again, and EJ entered the room, startling Miss Jenn. "Sorry! I didn't mean to startle you." He apologized.

"EJ, you're really early!" Miss Jenn exclaimed, surprised by the boy's presence. After all, arriving early to take in the empty and silent revenue had always been her tradition, and she didn't expect anyone to get there for at least a few hours.

"I know, I just didn't know what do with myself all afternoon." EJ explained, nervously playing with the strap of his backpack. 

"Let me guess," The older woman said calmly, a gentle smile in her face. "Opening night jitters?"

"Yeah, I guess. I've been a part of many plays on summer camp over the years, but it's never been like this... My friends are counting on me, Autumn is counting on me. I'm afraid I'll forget my lines or something and let everyone down." He confessed.

"I understand the stress you're under. All I can tell you is what my director told me the night somebody sneezed a blueberry muffin onto the stage during a regional production of South Pacific." Miss Jenn said, causing a giggle to escape EJ's lips. "Use it."

"Okay?" EJ replied, confused.

"Besides, if you're the only actor with opening night jitters, we are in excellent shape." The teacher affirmed proudly. The doors opened for the third time, and both of them turned to see Autumn enter the gym.

"Oh, I didn't know anyone would be in here." The girl said meekly, walking towards her boyfriend and Miss Jenn. EJ wrapped an arm around the small of her back, discreetly pulling her closer.

"Let me guess, jitters?" EJ questioned, a knowing smile on his face. Autumn nodded, lightly biting her lower lip.

"Little bit. I just realized this morning this is the first time I've been cast as the lead on a play." She revealed, her gaze travelling between EJ and Miss Jenn.

"But it won't be the last," Miss Jenn assured her, before her eyes widened as she looked at the pair in front of her, realizing she should leave the lovebirds alone. "Listen, I'm gonna run. I'll see you in a couple hours for pre-game. Just take a second, both of you, and soak in the stillness."

Without another word, the teacher was gone. A bag of flour fell from the ceiling of the stage - for some reason, that kept happening, and they could only pray it didn't happen in the middle of the show - and excuses were heard from the tech crew.

"Do you wanna go out for a sec?" Autumn asked, to which EJ agreed with a nod, and in a heartbeat they were out of the gym. As they sat on a bench nearby, EJ noticed the girl's thoughtful expression.

"Hey. What's going on, tulip? Why the long face?" He asked, his voice full of worry. "Did something happen?"

"My dad called yesterday. He said he's coming to watch the show tonight." Autumn disclosed quietly, leaning into EJ's side and resting her head on his shoulder. He sighed, his hand moving up to delicately caress her hair.

⠂⠄⠄⠂⠂⠄⠄⠂⠂⠄⠄⠂⠂⠄⠄⠂⠂⠄⠄⠂⠂⠄⠄⠂⠂

ᴀᴜᴛᴜᴍɴ ᴄᴀᴍᴘʙᴇʟʟ, ᴊᴜɴɪᴏʀ

Yes, my dad is coming to opening night. I haven't really talked to him since he filed for divorce a few months ago, and I didn't think my mom did either, but apparently she told him about the show. I don't know if I want to see him, especially right now.

⠂⠄⠄⠂⠂⠄⠄⠂⠂⠄⠄⠂⠂⠄⠄⠂

"It's going to be alright." EJ murmured, kissing the top of her head. "You have to talk to him eventually, tulip. I know it's the last thing you wanna do, but he's still your dad."

"I know." Autumn groaned, hiding her face on his shoulder. "I know I have to fix this... I just don't want to do it alone. Can you do it with me?"

"Of course, Autumn. I'm here for you." The boy reassured her. "Always."