Chapter 57

If anything, Viraj's smile only widened as he misunderstood her response, as usual.

"I know. I am far greater than your expectations, right! But, it's alright...You will get used to me." He said happily making Sneha go dumb on hearing his response. She couldn't help but look at him with a poker face.

'I think I will get used to your narcissist nature!' She sighed internally.

Sneha thought for a while before replying...something that wasn't a lie.

She looked up in the sky and spoke.

"I want someone who is simple, humble and polite. He should respect my parents as his own. And, he should..." She trailed, searching for an apt word.

"Should?"

Sneha thought for a while before replying.

"He should love me selflessly...without expecting anything in return." She finally spoke her heart out.

"That's impossible!"

"What?" She asked.

"Everything in life is a bargain in one form or another."

"Not relationships." She argued.

"Even relationships. It is impossible to enter a relationship without expecting something in return." He instantly responded.

"It will not be love if we'd expect something in return!"

"Love is just a hypothetical overrated term."

"Love is the base of every relationship."

"No. It is loyalty that is the base of all relationships. Without loyalty, everything is baseless. And, loyalty demands loyalty in exchange." He placed his point making her go speechless.

"You don't believe in love, right?" She asked after a short pause while turning to face him. This is the only conclusion she could draw from his arguments.

"I told you. Love is an overrated concept which is nothing but fiction." He asserted.

Sneha took a deep breath and turned towards the sky again.

"It's a good thing." She mumbled after a slight pause.

"What?"

"It's a good thing that you don't love me." She gathered the confidence to say it aloud.

"I am loyal to you. What more do you want?" He asked, a little annoyed.

"As I said, I want someone who would love me." She said so that he'd understand that he wasn't the one she desired.

Viraj sighed. It was so difficult to please her, he knew.

"I guess, we can have a balance here. You can love me and I'll be loyal to you." He said.

"You are proposing it as if it is a business proposal."

"I am a businessman...Isn't it obvious for me to think like that?"

'If only loving someone was this easy.' She thought but externally, she only nodded.

They laid there for a while before Viraj spoke first.

"You didn't ask about my expectation from my wife." He asked while looking at her sideways.

"I know it now." She mumbled still looking at the sky.

"You do?" The surprise was evident in his tone.

"Loyalty...it was clear from what you just said." She said.