xlvi. stars around my scars

chapter forty-six
stars around my scars

  Two years ago, Lucas Sinclair asked Max Mayfield if she was ready to accept the risk of knowing the truth. At the time, she thought the boy had just been pulling her strings, leading her on with another stupid prank. She was already pissed about being pushed back and forth by Lucas and his friends, and worse, Rue hadn't been picking up the phone the whole weekend.

An insecure part of Max believed that Rue became bored with her and opted to stop their short-found friendship because Max wasn't good enough to be her friend. At least, that's what Billy would have said. If Billy had known how Max felt, he would have gone on and on about how Max lacked intriguing qualities that would tempt someone to befriend her.

Two years ago, Max would have believed Billy. He always knew how to put her down and ruin her day, possibly the whole month.

Two years ago, Max accepted the risk. She couldn't believe that anything Lucas were to tell her would be worse than what she lived through already.

He proved her wrong, though.

The next day, Max found herself preparing a trap for a monster from another dimension. That same night, she discovered a laboratory located in the woods of Hawkins, Indiana, where there appeared to be a gateway to the dimension where the monsters were emerging. Since then, everything has gone downhill. Her best friend's father was mauled to death, Will Byers was possessed, met Eleven, injected her brother with a drug, drove a car, and watched her friends burn a hive mind.

There was a break of peace after that until the Fourth of July came along and then her brother had become possessed and he nearly killed her, twice, a monster made out of human remains hunted her and her friends, she watched as Rue murdered Billy, and fall into a coma for a week.