XIV - To Meat Or Not To Meat

Here we are, the yearly lobster dinner; Susannah's cooking is out of this world. Belly, Taylor, and I all have on the midsommar themed flower crowns.

"So Cam Cameron-" I freak out, I'm all for embarrassing Belly but this time it was actually an accident. I cover my mouth with my hand quickly. "I'm sorry,"

Cam laughs, "Don't worry about it. It's funny."

"I'm glad you're here Cameron." Susannah says, saving me. "I know your mom, Denise, from the club. I have heard a lot about you." She smiles knowingly.

"Thank you so much for having me, Susannah. My mom says 'hi'." His peppy personality really lights up a room, I'm really glad Belly found him.

"Cam, have you ever had miyeok-guk before? It's a Korean birthday tradition." Mom says, showing the plate to him.

"No. Looks so good. Thank you." He takes it.

"Belly told me you're vegetarian, so I didn't put any meat in it." She adds.

"Thank you, Laurel." He looks down at the plate happily.

"Why don't you eat meat Cam Cameron?" Jeremiah asks, partially mocking me.

"Uh, the meat industry is, like, the number one contributor to global warming." He explains. "And I just, like animals." He shrugs.

"I think it's really cool you don't eat meat Cam, I've always been really into saving the Earth." I smile, "I just like Susannah's food a little too much to commit to becoming vegetarian." I add with a laugh.

Before he can respond Jeremiah comes in, "You know, uh, actually, Belly eats meat. So, you let her kiss you with those lips?" His voice bumps up an octave to show he's joking.

"Guys, stop." Belly says embarrassed.

"No, I don't judge people for eating meat. It's just like a personal choice. I don't care." Cam is so chill, even around the boys.

"So you don't mind if, uh, like, her lips touch a dead animal, and then those dead animal lips touch your lips, right?"

All the boys are laughing. I kick Jeremiah under the table. "Ow!" He whispers and shoots me a glare.

Cam laughs a little, "No, I don't mind at all. Um, in fact.." He leans over and give Belly a peck on the lips.

I can't help it my mouth pulls into a lip smile and I look over at Taylor, we are both freaking out inside.

Jeremiah and Steven both pretend to throw up and make a huge scene before Mom cuts them off, "All right. All right, all right. Belly's allowed to kiss," She pauses and looks over at Cam with an accusing finger, "But that's it." She starts laughing like it's the funniest thing in the world. I feel so bad for Belly but with everything going on I laugh a little.

"I'm sorry I just don't get why anybody would wanna kiss somebody who once full shat in the bathtub." Steven laughs.

"I was like two years old!" Belly argues.

"Two? More like six!" Steven and Jeremiah say in unison.

"Shut up, Steven!" Belly says.

"Steven," Mom comes to her rescue.

"Awe, I remember that." Susannah says, thinking of it like it was a fond memory, "God, that feels like a lifetime ago."

"I remember when I visited last summer, and you and you-" She points to Jeremiah and Conrad, "Dared him-" She points at Steven, "to pee in the fireplace and you stunk up the entire house for days. Do you remember that?" Everyone at the table started laughing.

Point Taylor.

"I blamed the neighbor's cat." Susannah says, obviously not as fond of that memory.

"We were drunk. We were drunk!" Steven argues.

"Yeah, on like half a white claw." I snort.

"She's got you there." Jeremiah laughs.

There was a pause where we all collected ourselves from laughter before Belly broke the silence, "You know, I was um, thinking, maybe we should go to Nicole's party." She suggests.

"Yes! Oh, my God. I love you. I'm so excited." Taylor hugs her.

We put our dishes in the sink and run upstairs to get ready for the party.

Taylor helps Belly with her mascara while I pick out what I'm going to wear.

"We should all wear the flower crowns to the party." Taylor offers.

"Isn't that like weird? Susannah got them for the dinner." Belly asks.

"Um, no. It's hot." She says putting Belly's flower crown on and handing mine. She pulls us to the mirror, "Look at us. We are hot ass bitches.