037 ::: Never Cook

I was laughing.

I couldn't help the chuckles and giggles that left my lips as I continued to watch Xaler attempt to cook a meal. It was clear that this wasn't something that he did very often, but he was trying and making the effort simply because I asked him to.

Currently, he was using a chunk of a brick to flatten out the pieces of chicken we bought from the wolf-ran market. It was a place that most humans were not able to frequent very often but utilized by the lower-ranked wolves that could actually afford the products they sold. The street market run by humans only exists because of those that hurriedly gather gardening supplies in their bags and boxes when the wolves took over.

I tried not to go there since the time we were currently having was enjoyable - pleasant. And knowing Xaler, this wasn't something that happened very often either, much like him cooking.

Now, I could have easily grabbed a meat cleaver from the wolf market to make this easier on him, but I wanted him to understand what the human experience was like of using whatever we had available. To make due with what we were given and that things were not great or lavish for humans. I needed him to see that, to understand that.

I was too caught up in my thoughts that I didn't even notice when the pounding of chicken stopped and only registered what was happening when Xaler's arms wrapped around my waist from behind.

I sucked in a breath and tried to dampen the light nerves in me. I don't think I could ever not feel nervous around him. Not with our past.

His chin rested on my shoulder and he whispered into my ear, "is something funny, my lux?"

Shivers broke out all over my body at the feeling of his warm breath tickling the skin of my neck and shoulder. Whether it was from nerves or excitement, I couldn't tell.

And that worried me.

I knew I needed to get closer to him for the purpose of the rebellion, but I was unsure of how and in what ways I could push him. Besides, I didn't know how to flirt let alone seduce someone. Even if that someone was my mate.

However, I threw caution to the wind and tried. Nothing beats a failure but a try.

"Maybe," I breathed, steadying my hand on the knife that was chopping an onion.

A low but playful growl rumbled in his throat as his hands gripped my waist tighter and he pulled me closer to his body. His warmth seeped through my clothes and cause another shiver to burst through my body.

His nose trailed the skin on my neck, favoring the area where he had marked me before burying it in my hair. "You should know, I don't like to be laughed at."

"Yeah?" I breathed again. My heart was hammering in my chest and I figured it wasn't just nerves or excitement, but rather a mix of the two.

"Yeah."

"Hmm. And what is the big bad wolf gonna do?"

I barely got my words out before Xaler spun me around and lightly slammed me against the counter, wasting no time pressing his body once again to mine. My skin was prickly hot and my lower stomach fluttered at his proximity. I couldn't help but gaze into his eyes that held nothing but amusement and lust.

He stepped impossibly closer to me and I could feel every muscle of his against my body as he too stared deep into my eyes. I was certain he could feel my heart thundering in my chest, anticipating what was coming next. Xaler towered over me and I found myself slowly inching up on my toes to be closer to him.