🏮68. Obsession

Amber laid on a large bed looking up at the ceiling while snacking on a purple fruit that tastes like strawberries. She was in a room the size of her apartment in her previous life with shone walls. The walls were hung with thick dark purple drapery. The room was clearly ancient, but it was incredibly comfortable, and in perfect shape. There was some furniture made from solid white wood, it was made from white trees with dark purple leaves. These trees were around the outside of the village along the river that surrounded it. They had little fruits on them that looked like cherries the size of peaches and dark purple. They tasted like different types of fruit depending on how ripe the ukuni fruit was.

The taste reminded her of home to some extent. Has it really been so long since she had come here? Has it been so long since she had thought about her previous life? All this time, she had just been rushing around trying to prevent one disaster after another. It had been so long since she had just been. 'Just be.' Hadn't that been a saying in her previous life? She tossed the fruit pit across the room, hitting the guard standing there in the back of the head.

What a nut bar Duke Dreyfus was. Just talking about her all day like she was an object that he owned. What had even triggered his crazy obsession with her in the first place? Where was a good shrink when you needed one? The guard made no move or acknowledgment in any way, as if Amber hadn't just flung something at the back of his head. He didn't even turn around.

Amber stretched while putting a hand over her face and sighed. My gosh, she was exhausted. Amber pulled her hand back and looked at the black and red band on her wrist. She experimentally flicked her wrist again, still nothing. She couldn't feel the invisible strings from her magic anymore. When was it? When was it that she'd started to take her magic for granted? When did it become natural?

Earlier That Day...

Amber stared at Duke Dreyfus with widened eyes. He was glowing green and riding a tree! Her palms glowed with a silver light for only a moment, before she felt a strong sting on her back, and was tightly squeezed. She struggled to get air into her lungs while a thick vine suddenly wrapped around her body, from her feet to her mouth. The vine jammed itself into her mouth, effectively silencing her while pushing up her boobs. He looked at her chest with a gleam in his eyes and flicked his wrist once more, causing some of her cleavage to become exposed.

She could feel her face heating up and deep humiliation wash over her. She looked over, wondering why Oberon hadn't come to her aid. She saw that Oberon was wrapped up to the point of bleeding through his skin. She glared at Duke Dreyfus and tried to pull on her strings, but she was unable to pull. Silver light glowed from her palms, but soon puttered out.

Duke Dreyfus chuckled, pushing the vine harder into the area of her wrists near her carpal tunnel.

Amber tried to use her magic once more, but this time no magic light came out at all.

She looked at Duke Dreyfus with murder in her eyes, rage in her heart, and a question; what had he done to her?

Duke Dreyfus chuckled deep in his throat before speaking. "Sorry my dear, for this rude behavior, but you must understand that I knew you would try to retaliate. I can't leave any room in your head to rebel against me. You see, I've decided that you belong to me. As my property, there are certain rules that I require you to follow without question. One of my main rules is to never go against me.

This delusional thing! Thought Amber.

Amber glanced over at Oberon whose dark green scales were dripping with yellow blood. His struggles had become nearly non-existent and he let out a weak whimper.