𝐈𝐟 𝐓𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐈𝐬 𝐀 𝐃𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐦 𝐃𝐨𝐧'𝐭 𝐖𝐚𝐤𝐞 𝐌𝐞 𝐔𝐩- 𝐊𝐫𝐢𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐞 𝐌𝐞𝐰𝐢𝐬

**Y/N's POV**

**Y/N's POV**

"The last few games didn't turn out the way we wanted but this is what it all comes down to. Each of you has worked your asses off to get to this moment, don't let it pass you up. Go out there and give it your all. Now let's go kick some ass!" My coach Vlatko said as we were getting ready to head out to the pitch for our final game of the 2020 Summer Olympics.

We hadn't had much time to prepare as a team with the pandemic putting a wrench in everything we had been expecting. And it was painfully obvious that we were struggling during these Olympic games. But we needed to put our frustrations into our game against Australia.

Truthfully I didn't ever think I would be on an Olympic team let alone the US Women's National Team. I didn't grow up like most if not all of my teammates that grew up with a burning passion for soccer. It was something I had taken up the summer before my freshman year of high school.

I tried out for my high school's team and shockingly made the varsity team. And it seemed like ever since then the rest was history. I got a scholarship to play soccer for UCLA which was incredible and I knew it lifted a weight off of my mom's shoulders when I was offered the scholarship.

When I entered the draft I wasn't expecting to be picked in the top five but when I was drafted by the Houston Dash it was like a whole new fire was lit in me. I was determined to prove all my naysayers wrong but more importantly, I was determined to take an immense burden off of my mom's shoulders.

She was a single parent raising me and doing her absolute best to give me the best life possible. During my rookie season in Houston she found out she had breast cancer and it was like a knife was driven straight to my heart. I worked my ass off so I could cover all her medical bills and any other bills she had.

I didn't want her worrying about anything else aside from fighting the sickness that was threatening to take her life. I put up incredible numbers my first season and was soon getting sponsorships from Nike, Coca-Cola, Cadillac, Bose, and Capital One just to name a few.

While in Houston that's where I'd meet the woman who changed my life in ways I never expected. Kristie Mewis, I was already familiar with who she was but getting to know her personally was just something completely different.

She was welcoming from the first moment we met when I was introduced to the team we got along amazingly. This just flowed naturally with her. She made me laugh, she made me think, and she made me feel accepted for who I truly was. And that wasn't something I was used to, especially growing up with my condition.

She became my best friend and eventually, that blossomed into a friends-with-benefits relationship that lasted for nearly three years without any of our closest friends or teammates finding out. Not because I was embarrassed by our arrangement but because Kristie told me she felt like having a personal life that others couldn't influence was important. Which I agreed with.