CHAPTER TWELVE: Impressive

"Y'all have entirely too many skidmarks for a bunch of grown-ass men!"

Dumping my eighth giant basket of dried laundry onto the ground in the main hall, I dusted my hands and placed them on my hips, watching as UK, Compo, Hip and Reck shied away, embarrassed.

"I already told you, you didn't have to do all of it..." Killer sighed, bending over to pull his freshly washed spotted top from the pile.
"Well, it's done now, so I'm gonna explore while I get the chance." Giving his shoulder a light fist bump, I scurried off to have my own little adventure.

It had even about four days since we had arrived on what I had dubbed Metalhead Isle, much to Kid and Killer's annoyance. I had certainly made myself useful, not only by hunting down the large buck, but also by doing laundry, and helping out in the kitchen. It was now time for sightseeing.

Things started off pretty boring. I followed a rat to a hole in the wall and got my arm stuck until Bubblegum rescued me. Then I checked out everybody else's rooms, finding out that not all of them purely enjoyed punky aesthetics. Gig even had his very own plushie collection.

That had only killed a few measly hours, so I decided to wander down a set of stairs, into the very bottom of the castle. On my way down, candle in hand, I saw murky red scrawlings all over the walls, telling me to turn back or perish.

Kid really needs to work on his handwriting...

Finally, I came to a large iron door with the words 'KEEP OUT' painted across them in the same manner. I could read, of course, but I pretended I couldn't so I could open the door and check it out.

Inside, I found a workshop. Tools and scraps of metal were laying around everywhere, and the metallic scent was almost overpowering. A few weapons here, some gauntlets there, even big machinery which I knew had to have been stolen from a legitimate metalwork factory.

I was smart enough not to touch anything, but I continued to look around, fascinated by all the interesting things that had been collected. In the far corner, almost hidden behind a large hunk of steel, was a small, almost adorable looking robot toy. It had long legs, and a tin-can body, and I bent over to have a closer look.

"You have two seconds to tell me why the fuck you thought you could come down here." Kid's voice growled low from behind me, but I didn't flinch. I just pointed to the little robot and turned to peer up at him.
"I like this little guy. Did you make him? He's cool."

Kid faltered for a moment before reaching over the top of me and pulling the toy out, and I turned so I could check it out in full.
"What, this? Yeah...when I was just a brat." He muttered, invisible brow raising when I smiled wider.
"So, you're good at making things? That's awesome, Kid. Can I hold it? I promise I'll be careful."

Eyeing me suspiciously, he took a moment to decide, cautiously handing the robot over. I was as gentle as I could be with it, seeing that it was obviously sentimental to the bastardly pirate.
"You still didn't answer my damn question."

And I'm not going to.

"Does he have a name?" I asked curiously, tracing the metal rings around its eyes. Scoffing, Kid took a few steps to the side to lean against one of the many benches, folding his arms.
"What? No? Why the hell would I name it?" He replied, somewhat defensively, but after a few moments of me giving him a knowing look he deflated. "I called it Tinker..."

It took a whole lot of self restraint to not gush over the adorable name he had given the item, but I managed. Instead, I just stretched my smile wider.
"I like it! Suits him well." Offering the robot back to him, he hesitated, studying my face before taking it and placing it behind him on the bench.