LETTER

MAHARAJ AYUDHIK

"She can't remember who or where she is. And won't calm down." As soon as Sumraj's hectic voice reached my éars I thrown away the blankets from my body and wore my shoes. I walked towards her chambers but not before sparing Hidden Ace a glance knowing she will try to investigate this on her own. The palace is serene and silent. It's still dawn. The rays are yet to touch the entire ground of fort as I half walked and half sprinted from my palace to the palace where Chitra is kept. My hairs are still tousled from my sleep. I didn't even got the chance to wash my face as I entered her chamber. Her sisters are circled around her except Reteka who looked equally iginated as me.

Her small face reflected the rage she is feeling. Chitra is scouted to farest side of her bed. Wary of her own sisters who are trying to reach her. She lóoked frightened at everyone even at Manvika. Who is looking at her through her teary eyes. They were a lot closer to her than me. "Leave her alone." I said before her condition can get worsen. "But Maharaj..." Shaurya started to oppose me. "That's an order Shuarya. Don't forgot your place." I said my face losing its smile replaced by a pissed off expression. She stilled before throwing Chitra one last glance and rushed out of room with tears threatening to fall from her eyes. Lekhya took Manvika and left as well.

"And here I thought you are becoming soft Your Majesty." Reteka murmured before leaving the chambers as well. "Shall I repeat my orders Sumraj ?" I asked Sumraj who was still standing there looking at me a fool. "Yes. Your Majesty." He said eyeing me strangely. "Vadh ji." I called out to the healer who rushed to my side from Chitra's. "Ji Maharaj." He said nervously wriggling his trembling hands. "What happened to her memory ? She isn't suffering from a head truma. Is she ?" I asked punctuating each and every word with anger. "We...we inspected her blood... Your highness....it's poison...from Hind....Hind Kush." He said shuttering.

"Get lost from my eye sight." I ordered him. Still not being loud so that Chitra can hear me. She had buried her head in between her knees and rolling back and fort softly as of it will calm her down. "Sumraj." I ordered knowing he is still in ear shoot. "I want the traitor found as soon as possible. Any suspicious death in last fourty eight hours." I asked knowing it won't be long from when she is poisoned. The poisons from Hind Kush work within twenty four hours of ingestion. That's all we know about there poisons. The effects are more long lasting and life threatening than normal poisons. "A maid was found today morning. Her body rigid and cold. She probably died from heart attack. She complained about heart pain before." He said as my ears hanged on each and every word he said.

Something doesn't add up here. What purpose do anyone will get by poisoning Chitra. She isn't someone of great importance or any importance for sure. If there where any enemies of Virendra they will not try to kill this defenceless girls. Not unless this either an act to show me that my securities are not high enough or a way to sidetrack me. I smirked as I saw through the game the opposite side wants to play. "Sumraj. I want Chitra shifted to Chand Mahal and we are going to see that dead maid's room." I said as he looked at me dumbfounded. "The Chand Mahal." He asked as if he wants to challenge me. I glared at him.

"Do I have to spell out it to you again Sumraj. And even if a single word of what happened today gets out you and that person is dead meat." I said in anger and frustration for the person who did this to Chitra. She is innocent in all this. "And we have to visit the maid's chambers." I said as he lead me towards the servants quarters. The sun had raised but the fort is unusually calm. All the servants are in their duties except few who are locked themselves in their room. The chamber was small with just a cot, a earthen pot and a window. The bed was still half made and looked like someone just slept in it. The things are neat and clean.

Their aren't any signs of struggle but it did felt that something is wrong in here. My eyes are drawn towards the corner of room where the earthen pot is kept. "Sumraj if a water is spilled on earthen floor how much time it will take it to dry up" I asked him already knowing the answer. "Depends on how much water is spilled. Twenty minutes at most in this climate." He said from where he is searching the cloths. I smirked knowing that I got my answers. "I found this in the cloths." He said as I caught the money pouch thrown in my direction. I opened it and poured the money in my hands. Dalpatgarh was a poor kingdom. And the amount of money this maid had proved my suspicions that this is no natural death.