Chapter Twenty Six

~Amelie's POV~

The gym was busy this morning. I was sleeping better, and Winter was looking after me when I had bad dreams, so this morning I woke up well rested and itching to move.

Winter kissed me as I left the room. It took him a long time to fall asleep last night, and he was exhausted this morning.

So I had left him in bed, pulled on a pair of leggings, sports bra and a t-shirt, before carrying my trainers and sneaking out of the room.

Nat was demolishing one of the punching bags, slamming her fists quickly against it, every now and then swinging her weight and kicking it flying.

Sam was on rowing machine, huffing every time he pulled the weighted oar back, before sliding forwards. His face was glistening with sweat, but he seemed oblivious to the world around him.

Thor was swinging weights around his body - I'm pretty sure they weren't designed to be used that way at all, but who was I to interrupt him? He looked victorious, his beaming smile shortly directed at me as I walked past.

I felt a little intimidated, as I stepped onto the treadmill closest to me. It was facing the window, with a view that stretched for miles over the top of the city. I could hear movement, quiet music that bled from headphones, and the heavy breathing of the Avengers, but I tried not to pay attention.

I needed this jog, to feel a bit of energy, to feel like I was active again.

So I switched the machine on, chose an easy setting to begin with, and started on my warm up walk.

My headphones were tangled and knotted, but I managed to sort them out, and by the time my warm up ended, I was ready to press start on my favourite playlist.

All my insecurities left my body, as Dolly Parton blasted into my ears. I switched the treadmill up, and began jogging in time to the beat of the music.

Fifteen minutes later, Steve stepped onto the treadmill next to me.

Another ten minutes later, Sam stepped onto the one on my other side.

A little sense of contentment settled over me as I sped up a little, pushing myself a little further.

I managed forty minutes before I gave up, slowing the treadmill down to a gentle walk. My music was still upbeat, but I didn't turn it off. Instead, I turned it down to play quietly.

"How's Winter?" Steve asked. He had been running next to me for almost half an hour, and yet he sounded as if he was just out on a stroll. It wasn't even a jog like I had been doing, he was actually running.

He caught me looking, and tilted his head to the side, "Winter? How is he?"

"He's okay," I smiled, remembering how he had curled his arm around my waist the night before, pressing a goodnight kiss to my shoulder.

As if he knew we had been talking about him, the doors swung open and he marched in.

I stepped off the treadmill, walking to meet him in the middle of the room. I gulped some of my cold water, letting it cool me down. "Hey! What are you doing here?"

"To work out." His eyes drifted across my face, before he tucked a strand of hair behind my ear. I winced a little, knowing how hot and sweaty my face was. If it bothered him, he didn't show it. Instead, he offered a tiny smile.

"Need a sparring partner?" Nat asked. She was unwrapping the used cloth from her knuckles, eyes boring into Winter's.

Even though he had turned to face her, I could see his body tense.