25| Friends

┏━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┓

Friends

┗━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┛

Chapter 25: Friends (Christian's POV)

"You're seriously worried about washing dishes right now?" she asked while holding a candle for me to be able to wash the dishes properly in the sink. 

"The dishwasher isn't working, what would you rather have me do?" I glanced at her. 

She set the candle down and hopped up on the counter, resting her head against a cabinet and watching me. "Not make me a human flashlight and let me go home." 

"Except for that," I replied, washing my hands and turning the tap off, flicking my fingers and sending water drops flying, making her let out a frustrated groan before she nudged my side using her leg. 

"You're such a dick." 

I dried my hands off and then moved to stand in front of her before she could close her legs. 

Silently, she stared down at me. "I want to leave," she said. 

"You're more than welcome to. That is if you're prepared to use the stairs to get downstairs. Remember, you're on the top floor of a building that goes up to thirty-five stories." 

Closing her eyes, she inhaled sharply through her nose, the annoyance clearly written all over her. "Get away from me," she demanded. 

I moved back, holding my hands up in surrender. 

Hopping off the counter, she grabbed the second candle from the counter behind me and walked past, heading towards the living room where she placed the candle on the coffee table and lay down on the couch, draping an arm over her eyes. 

Contemplating if I should follow her or really leave her alone, I decided to do the former and made my way over, placing my candle beside hers before grabbing both her ankles and lifting her legs. 

She lifted her arm, glaring at me. "What are you doing?" 

I sat down and placed her legs on my lap, resting my hands on her legs, and giving them a squeeze. "Nothing," I exhaled, looking over at her. 

"Do you mind leaving me alone for once, Christian?" 

"I do mind, actually. You're in my apartment." 

She sat up with a huff. "Because I can't fucking get out." Her gaze met mine and both of us went absolutely still and silent as we stared at each other. The warm flame lighting up one side of her face flickered and danced and her eyes seemed lighter than their usual shade of chocolate hazel. 

I remember being caught in her eyes when I first saw her. Normally, redheads had blue, sometimes even green eyes. 

She was a rare one with eyes that made even a mundane hazel seem so enchanting. 

Jules was first to tear her gaze away and glance at the flames, clearing her throat quietly. "I feel like I can't breathe in here," she mumbled, tucking a loose strand of hair that slipped out of the braid behind her ear.