Chapter 6

{Jack's POV}

        Darkness blanketed Jack as he lay curled in the bed of the truck, lights and colors dancing across his blurry vision. His hands and legs were bound with duct tape, his mouth as well, but he was too weak to struggle, too tired... His lids fluttered as he rested his empty eyes, his already griggy mind lulled by the rhythmic sound of the tires running over the pavement. So tired... So sleepy... He'd just escape in the morning...

        The moon was starting to dip in the sky a bit as the truck drove over the mulch- and stone-littered ground, the bumpy ride making [Name] grunt and stir a bit. After crying for the better part of an hour she'd eventually fallen asleep, leaving the rest of the drive in silence. The drive had gone smoothly, and Jack had only had to pull over once to consult a map. He glanced at [Name] as her eyes fluttered open and she stared out the window at the woods, her gaze somewhat vacant and empty.

        "Where are we...?" she mumbled groggily, yawning.

        "Home," Jack said simply as the truck pulled to a stop and he turned it off. She blinked at him a few times before her eyes grew wide, snapping her head forward. Before them was an old wooden cabin, the dark windows offering no glimpse of the abyss beyond. Jack exited the car as she stared at it in shock, circling to the passenger side and opening the door. "After you," he told her, giving her a small exaggerated bow. [Name] just stared at him dumbly, looking like a deer caught in headlights. After a moment he sighed and unbuckled her seatbelt, gently tugging on her arm. Obediently she climbed out, and followed him to the front door.

        Turning the handle and pulling, he frowned as the door stubbornly refused to open and gave it a hard yank, forcing it to open with a loud creak that made both cringe. He made a mental note to oil the hinges as he ushered her inside, groping blindly at the wall for the light switch and flipping it. Dim, flickering light filled the room, revealing a bare entryway that opened into a larger room with a couch, an old TV, and a coffee table. There was a kitchenette off to the side, with a wooden table and some chairs. Everything was coated in a layer dust, the particles visible floating in the air in the dim beams of light.

        "Come on," he said, grabbing [name] by the arm again and pulling her to a small hallway with three doors. They passed two doors before he stopped and pushed one open, flipping another light switch to reveal a small room completely empty save for a bed, a nightstand and a dresser. [Name] just stood in the corner as he walked to the bed, giving it a pat. Clouds of dust rose and he coughed, lifting his mask to cover his mouth with a frown. They'd have to clean everything later.

        "Sit," he ordered, and she obediently sat on the bed. He pulled out his scalpel and she winced as he grabbed her by the wrists, but he just slid the blade under the tape and flicked his wrist upward, smoothly severing the bonds. "Stay." Receiving a meek nod, he left and closed the door, confident she wouldn't try to leave. Crossing the thin hall to the bathroom, Jack turned on the sink to test if the water was still running before going outside to retrieve the duffel bag from the truck.

        [Name] was still sitting on the bed when he returned, just as he'd expected. He tossed the bag onto the bed next to her and unzipped it, removing the metal shackles and stuffing them into the pocket of his hoodie. "Unpack," he commanded, and waited for her to start before he left, closing the door behind him and locking it. Walking into the main part of the cabin, he removed his mask and set it on the table, inhaling the musty scent of the room. A smile played across his lips as he looked around, filled with contentment. It had been some time since he'd last been home, and he had never realized how much he'd missed it.

        After a few minutes of savoring his surroundings, Jack ended his reverie and walked to a closet to retrieve his cleaning supplies. He had a lot of work to do.

{Reader's POV}

        I absentmindedly folded my clothes and placed them in the dresser, noting all of the dust coating the insides of the drawers. Hopefully my clothes wouldn't get too dirty, I thought. Then I stopped, realizing just how trivial that worry was. I've been kidnapped by a cannibalistic monster, and I'm worried about getting dust on my clothes? I'd probably laugh if I weren't so terrified for my life.

        This place was so different from my room, from my house. It felt so... empty, so... dead. Was it just because Jack hadn't been here in a while? I didn't know, but I secretly hoped so, because I had a feeling I wouldn't be leaving anytime soon—or ever, I thought with a pang of despair.

        Lifting one of my shirts, I caught my breath as I glimpsed the framed photo carefully hidden beneath it. I'd grabbed it on an impulse while packing and didn't know if Jack had seen me pack it. If he had, he didn't seem to care. It was an older photo from my tenth birthday, featuring me leaning over a cake with a giant smile. A mirror strategically hung on the wall behind me reflected Buddy holding the camera, his grizzled face flashing a giant, shining white smile as his finger hovered over the shutter button.

        "Buddy!" I cried, tears streaming down my cheeks as I helped him inside. "What happened! Buddy!" His head bowed, he mumbled something, too quiet for me to hear. "B-Buddy! I... I can't hear you...!"

        "...gans...eed..."

        "What?" I pressed, blinking back tears as I tried to steady my voice enough to speak. "What is it? I... I can't hear you..." He raised his head to look at me, and I froze as I saw the manic look in his eyes.

        "Need... organs!" he yelled, and suddenly I felt a sharp pain in my side.

        Tears dripped onto the glass frame as I stared at the photo, his face in the mirror blurring as tears obscured my vision. How much of that smile was genuine? How much did I really know about him?

        How much did he really, actually love me?