15 | ONLY FUN IF YOU'RE A POGUE |

Outer Banks, Cameron's houseJuly 9th, 20207:22 pm

July 9th, 2020
7:22 pm

The huge Cameron's mansion's yard was filled with music, laughs and rich people as we walked in. Topper probably expected me to stay with him, but after what had happened between us, and knowing Pope and Kiara would be there, he should have known better I wouldn't. I immediately spotted Kiara and Pope together, and smiled as I noticed Pope wearing an apron, which reminded me he often came to those events to help his dad.

"Looks like I just found the Poguest Kooks," I chuckled as I arrived near them and Kiara pulled me in a warm hug.

"Hey! I, for one, am not a Kook," Pope contradicted, which had all of us laughing.

I gave Pope a handshake and stood next to them, eying everyone's outfits with a smirk on my lips. I remembered how we usually used to sneak JJ and John B in, and the five of us would just make fun of Kooks until they got caught and we ran away with them. But this time, John B was missing and JJ was locked in a cell.

"Hey, you okay?" Kiara asked me since my smirk had subsided. "If it's about JJ, you did the right thing"

"Have you heard of him?" I avoided her question. "Is he okay?"

None of them nodded so I understood they didn't know and didn't want to lie saying he was doing alright knowing he for sure wasn't, and it broke my heart a little more. Maybe I had done the right thing as Kiara pretended, but things could have been different if my family wasn't only interested in money and my brother wasn't Topper. Maybe in the end, Pope and JJ had sunk my boat, but it was still all my fault.

All of sudden, a pink thing caught my attention and as I drew it all on it, I got a glimpse of Rose's outfit, with sharp spades coming out of her headband. The three of us laughed simultaneously as everyone else looked at her in awe and the rest of the Cameron's family appeared. Pope and Kiara kept making fun of Rose but all I could focus on was Rafe. He looked so handsome, so confident, so powerful. I hated myself for it, but in this moment, there was nothing on Earth I wanted more than his lips on mine.

(...)

Outer Banks, Cameron's house
July 9th, 2020
9:50 pm

People started to dance, to drink a little bit more, laugh louder, and I was there, standing alone. Kiara was chit chatting with her parents, Pope was with his father helping with another task, but there was no way I joined my family too. They looked just fine without me, drinking wine and eating caviar or whatever was in those plates. My eyes trailed over the crowd of wealthy people and I noticed the Kook I hated and wanted the most, walking to me. "Hey there, Thornton," he smiled.

"Hi," I simply greeted.

The boy got even closer and grabbed my hands, playing with my fingers. "You look great in that dress," he complimented.