Chapter 18: Who ate granny?

"Your room is nice," said Leo. He said so without lying which was a rarity for him. Callum's room was simplistic in its light grey and forest green colour scheme. The walls had pictures of family and friends, cut outs of newspapers that referenced McCameron family. One article referencing his dad winning a crab fishing competition, another of his Grandmother helping the local school with baking and one of Callum himself participating in an annual swim in the sea on the first of January.

"That must have been freezing."
Said Leo.

Callum looked over his shoulder and laughed. His hands naturally went to Leo's waist and he pressed his body to Leo's back. Perhaps it was the dog in him, but Leo had noticed how frequently Callum did that as well as press his nose into Leo's hair. "It was. Did it with my mates and we all couldn't feel our fingers when we came out."

"Are those mates different from whatever mate your mum kept calling me?"

Callum recoiled, slipping away from Leo. He took a few steps back into the room and turned around. "It's complicated."

"Why?"

"Because... it's complicated. Listen , I know how it all sounds, but this 'mate' thing is this super old tradition in our community. It would be a lot easier to explain if you were from here, but you're not so I want to take it slow. The 'mate' thing is really intense and I-" he took a deep breath, "I don't want you to be forced into liking me."

"Why would it force me to like you?"

"It's complicated."

"But, I already like you so why don't you just tell me?"

Callum sat down on his bed, the perfectly straight covers crumpling around him. He kept his eyes on the floor as his brown curls fell into his eyes. "Do you like me?" He asked.

"What?"

Callum looked at him with an such sincerity that it terrified Leo in a way he'd never felt before. Puppy dog eyes, that's probably what they'd be called, but they were so much more than that. There was something so pure about those bright green eyes, something so hurt and Leo knew he was responsible. They weren't frightening or scary like the average werewolf, they were pleading with Leo. And yet, despite all the emotions Callum held in those puppy dog eyes, he didn't seem angry with Leo. He didn't yell at him or scowl, he didn't cry despite how watery those eyes became. Instead he smiled ever so slightly.

"It's fine," said Callum, "this is all really fast for you and I completely understand. But sometimes it's like you don't like me at all."

Leo didn't know what to say to that. He thought he'd played the part of lover boy quite well, but what the fuck did he know, he'd never been in love. He was only doing what he overheard all his siblings doing when they were on their missions. They always talked of seduction tactics, manipulation of the heart. They always made it sound so easy and they always laughed as they talked about it.

How did his siblings find all of this so easy? Why didn't they struggle like he did?

He wasn't the weakest one amongst them! It wasn't true!

But, did his siblings feel sympathy for the enemy like he did?

"Callum, I-" He what? What could he say that could possibly remedy the situation? Every clever remark or cunning deception slipped from his mind and he was left without words to protect himself.

"It's fine." Callum said again. He reached forward and took Leo's hand in his. "You're really amazing, Leo. I want to know more about you at whatever pace you want to. Forget about the stupid 'mate' stuff and just let me like you, because I really do like you." He kissed Leo's palm and smiled up at him.