16

Rooster had left her with a kiss lingering on her lips that night. Not knowing if that was the last time he was ever going to see her again. The reality of it didn't hit Flynn until she hadn't heard anything from anyone the next day. Penny was in a similar position, terrified that Maverick wouldn't get back to her after what they had promised each other. At least the thought of losing Rooster took her mind off of the fact Hangman had betrayed her, that was the least of her concerns at the moment. Flynn didn't know how the partners and families of those in the military coped with the constant worry of something happening to their loved one. Flynn wasn't even in a relationship with Rooster, or Hangman for that matter, yet she was terrified for them. Despite what Hangman had done to her, she was still scared that he wouldn't make it back. 

Penny had noticed her niece's constant worrying but there was nothing she could do to make her feel any better because she knew from experience that there is nothing anyone can say that will make you worry any less. 

"I was thinking of closing early and we could go shopping. My treat?" Penny suggested to her niece who was sat at the bar. 

"Oh erm, yeah, sure," Flynn replied mindlessly. 

Penny offered her a sympathetic smile before closing up the bar and taking the two of them shopping. It took their minds off of the pilots they cared about for a while. 

"This would look great on you," Penny pointed out a dress in one of the shops they had gone into. 

"It's beautiful," Flynn nodded. 

"Why don't you try it on?" 

"I'd never have a time to wear it" 

"What about for the party at the Hard Deck when the pilots come back?" Penny suggested. 

Flynn's heart dropped at the mentioning of them. But she nodded and picked up the dress that was in her size and headed to the changing rooms. She tried on the dress and it fit her figure perfectly. It was a white sun dress that hugged her curves in the right places. It was almost like it was made for her. Rooster would love it and so would Hangman. Flynn tried to shake the thought of them out of her head, especially Hangman but it was no good. She hadn't realised she was crying until Penny came rushing in to console her. 

"Hey, it's gonna be okay," she soothed, stroking her hair comfortingly before placing a kiss on the top of her head. 

Flynn eventually calmed down, and stood to look at herself in the mirror. 

"You look amazing in this dress darling. It would be a crime to not get it!" she complemented, a smile appearing on Flynn's face. 

Penny bought the dress for her niece before the two of them spent a little more time in other shops. Penny had gone to the bathroom quickly, which was when Flynn spotted a lingerie shop that sparked something inside her. If Rooster was going to survive this mission, he deserved something a little extra special for coming back. 

Before she could convince herself otherwise, she headed inside and looked through the racks and drawers full of different sets. Some of which where she couldn't figure out what was supposed to go where. Her eyes landed on a lilac lace set that caught her eye. The detailing on it was perfect. She had never worn anything like this before, especially not for anyone in particular, so before she could back out she picked it up and paid for it before leaving the shop to where Penny was waiting for her.