XVIII - Owe Me One

"I get shotgun." Belly says, getting into Mom's car. I put my hands up in surrender and sit in the back with Taylor.

The ride to the bus is pretty quiet since Belly is still mad at Taylor. I get where she's coming from but I think she's over reacting. She saw Taylor kissing Steven. I'm his twin and even I don't think it's the end of the world.

"Here we are," Mom says sadly. "Bye, honey."

"Bye, Laurel." Taylor smiles.

I follow Taylor out the door and walk her (and some bags) to the bus line.

Now that we're alone I feel like I can actually talk to her without Belly scoffing.

"I love you, Tay." I say with a sad smile.

"I love you too." She pulls me into the tightest hug. "Thank you for not being mad at me." I can hear the waiver in her voice, like she's about to cry.

I pull out of the hug and rest my hands on her shoulders. "I don't think you did anything wrong. You kissed the boy you've been crushing on since you were like ten." I laugh, "Him being related to me doesn't make it illegal."

She pulls me into another hug.

"Bye, Taylor." I hear. It's Belly walking over.

Good, she came to her senses.

"I'll see you later." I smile and walk back to the car, best to give them some alone time.

***

It's my brother's a dick o' clock.

I run into the bad bedroom, carefully opening the door so I don't wake him up, obviously.

I need to make sure he is surprised by the payback, not expecting it.

"Hey," I whisper shout and flick his forehead. He groans and swats my hand away, he's still asleep though.

"Hey!" I say louder and flick harder.

"Ow!" His eyes shoot open and he pushes my hand away.

"That's what you get for being a fart-face." I turn around and quite literally, fart on his face.

Aren't I the best twin in the world?

Steven throws the blanket off and gets up to chase me. I run as fast I can giggling maniacally out of his room, closing the door in his face.

I shoot down the hall and into the bedroom with the cracked door.

Pro tip: Always leave your door crack before farting in your brother's face as payback for kissing your best friend while he has a girlfriend. It makes for an easy escape.

Not so pro tip: Make sure you are the only one with your door cracked before following through with your plan.

"My bad." I say to Jeremiah, who is now sitting up in his bed, looking at me. "Wrong room."

But it's too late, I can't let Steven find me so I close the door quietly.

"What are you doing?" He asks.

"SHHHHHH!" I put my finger up to my mouth. "I'm hiding from Steven."

He squints his eyes and looks at me like I'm an idiot. "Grow up."

"You grow up." I shoot back. Not my brightest comeback, I'll admit. "Why was your door cracked anyway?"

"I forgot to open the AC vent in my room this morning, it was too hot." He answers.

"Loser," I mock.

His jaw tightens, "Steven!"

My eyes go wide and I hide behind the door.

Steven barges in, "What man? Did you see her?"

"What? I just heard yelling and wanted to make sure you were okay?" Jeremiah lies.

"Oh, damn, yeah I'm fine. I'm just looking for Y/n."

"What'd she do?" He asks with a small laugh.

"Bro, she just woke me up and farted in my face! For no reason!"

That makes Jeremiah actually laugh. I'm stuck behind the door holding in my life.

"Nah, sorry man, I haven't seen her." Jeremiah says.

wtf?

Steven groans and leaves the room, closing the door behind him.

Jeremiah winks at me with a smirk. "I just saved your ass, so what do I get?"

I walk out of his room and into mine with a scoff.

"You owe me one." He texts.