Chapter 1

*King Dice*

I lived a simple life as a baker. My entire world was the Delicate Delicacy's Bakery. It was everything I'd ever need and more. As I served guests and talked to others, I always went to bed happy. This morning was no different. I gave Wheezy his usual meal on the house. My bakery was my whole world and an escape. I sat with Wheezy after taking care of a few more orders.

"King, how do you cook so well? I don't get it!" He ate the pancakes with vigor and it just made me laugh a bit. Wheezy was a wonderful friend. A kind-hearted man was under that tough exterior.

"Just a little bit of cinnamon and vanilla, Wheezy. They're nothing special." I smiled at the man.

"King, don't disrespect my best friend like that." He gently punched my shoulder making me laugh some more. I got us both some coffee.

"Ew- how can you drink pumpkin spice year around?" He rolled his eyes as he enjoyed a plain black coffee.

I shrugged in response. Life like this was truly bliss no matter what. My best friend, a coffee, and the smell of cinnamon in the air were all I'd need. 

"How has the home been, King?" Wheezy always had to ask that question when the truth was my parents both died a year ago. Leaving me with my two younger brothers, Cuphead and-

"Mugman!?" I ran over to see my brother running down the street panicked. "Mugsy why aren't you at school?!" I picked him up and he was sobbing. "Poor thing..." I noticed some imps chasing after Mugs and one had Cuphead. "Gentleman! Please, hold on why are you chasing my brothers? They're supposed to be in school." I sighed and held Mugsy close.

"See?! I told you my brother wouldn't let you take us!" Cuphead laughed, but I glared.

"Please, if there is anything I can do to make up for what they have done, let me know. I'm their caretaker, I'm responsible." I smiled politely and the imps were dumbfounded by my statement.

"These kids bet their souls at the Devil's Casino." My blood ran cold as one of the imps spoke.

"They... owe their souls? Is... there anything I can do to fix this misunderstanding? They're just kids!" I pleaded with them.

". . . Sorry Mr.Dice, but this is how the boss rolls." He seemed apologetic enough.

"Well then, I'd like a word with him! These are children!" I gave Wheezy Mugs and took Cup from them.  The imps were confused as I actively put up a fight. "Well?" The three looked at one another confused.

"We'll... talk to him. Don't get any funny ideas, sir." I nodded and picked up the two boys, hugging them close. They were the only family I had left. I took them to the back room and set them down.

"What were you two thinking!?" I spoke sternly. "I told you to enjoy your first day back to school, and you took that as a sign to run off to a casino!?" I was beyond angry.

"It was Cuphead's idea!" Mugs cried. "Why would you bet my soul!? I told you it was a bad idea." He turned from his brother.

"Mugman, please I'm so sorry-" I cut him off.

"You two are both at fault. I could lose this place because of you both! I've been trying to keep you out of the adoption system but without the income that is where you'll end up!" I groaned and paced, trying to calm down.

"We're sorry!" The two ran to hug me; all I could do was kneel down and hug them.

*Wheezy*
I had overheard the commotion and knew I had to do something. I ran off to the Casino immediately. King couldn't lose this place because of a mistake! As I came into work, the Boss was cussing out the imps for letting the cup brothers leave without paying. I walked into the office and it caught him off guard.

"Wheezy? What the hell are you doing here?" He glared at me.

"Sir, those boys are- brothers of a close friend of mine. I'm in no position to ask you to reconsider or change your mind... but this man just lost his parents and is trying his best to raise the boys. Is there any other way?" I looked at the Devil directly and he just looked at me with genuine annoyance.

"Seriously mortals don't understand consequences. Wheezy, I respect you enough, to be honest. That's not how gambling works." As he finished speaking he sighed, but there was a knock at the door. He sighed and waved out the imps, but as the door opened in came King. He looked meek and shy as usual.

"Excuse me?" He waved with a shy smile and walked in. Devil looked at him with a surprised look.

"King? Hey, don't worry I'll handle this." I smiled. King nodded but walked in anyway.

"You know him, Wheezy?" The devil seemed to soften and relax.

"Yes, sir this is my friend. This is Mr.Dice. Does he work at the Delicate Delicacy Bakery? He's the brother to those two boys." I smiled a bit as King came in and walked over to him.

"Pleasure to meet you, sir." He put his hand out to the Devil who responded kindly with a shake.

"Likewise." He sat across from King who sat as well.

"I'd like to sincerely apologize for my brother's and their . . . antics." He sighed. "I understand that they need to pay, but is there any way that I can- make up for it? I'm not rich but I can bake well." King's smile was sincere and kind as always. The Boss seemed thrown off by him.

"Well... I understand the antics of a child so... instead of their souls. I'd like..." The boss took a moment to think and sighed. "Well, we've needed more dessert options for the dinner rush. If you can come in around that time with something for is, that'd be appreciated." He seemed nicer than usual.

"Of course, sir. Thank you, again." King smiled and got up. "I do apologize again for my brother's antics. Things haven't been easy since my parents passed and they're acting out. I'll be sure to keep them from causing future trouble. Bye." King walked out with a wave.

"That's your friend?" Boss looked at me again.

"Yes, sir. King Dice is Inkwell's best baker and a kind gentleman. Known one another since middle school and then high school when we learned to gamble." I was blathering at this point.

"Interesting..." The Boss sat back in his chair thinking.

(Edits 7/14/2022: Run through Grammarly)