Chapter 39

Aphrodite

Aphrodite.

I get it now.

Ares and Aphrodite. The goddess of love, fertility, and beauty.

Ares once told me that his Aphrodite slipped away. And his Aphrodite is Maya.

It all makes sense.

At the bar in the hotel, I'm seated at a table with Violet and Delilah. We spotted Delilah at the bar and waved her over once she saw us.

"What were you doing here alone?" I ask her as I eye her drink. She seems to be sad about something.

Has she seen Ares with Maya as well?

"Just trying to get my mind off things," Delilah answers but keeps it at that.

Violet and I order a set of shots, which I down in one go as soon as they arrive.

My face scrunches up at the taste and then I start to cough. "You're so dramatic," Violet snorts when she's finished with hers.

Soon after we ordered our second drink, I spot some movement at the entrance of the restaurant.

Turning my head, I see Caleb entering the lobby, together with Nick and Kyle trailing behind them.

Kyle seems to be taunting Caleb, who looks annoyed, but appears to be feeding into the comments – and so the bickering begins.

From the corner of my eye, I see Delilah turn her head right when Ares enters the lobby.

I rapidly turn my head away, not wanting to see him. But I see the way Delilah reacts to him, and the frown on her face gives away her emotions.

Clearing her throat, Delilah finishes her drink and stands up. "I'm pretty tired, I'm heading upstairs," she announces and without waiting for a reply, she takes off.

"Something's up with her," Vi says as soon as she's out of hearing range. "I can guess what," I murmur and look back at the doors, where I see the others come through.

And speaking of the devil...

Ares steps into my eyesight again, his face unreadable as he heads down the hallway. With Maya walking beside him.

I focus on my second drink and find myself savoring the taste of whiskey for once.

Why is it that people turn to alcohol when things turn sour in their life?

Because it numbs the pain a little.

"Alcohol is doing a pretty shitty job," I murmur out loud. Vi frowns at me. "At what?"

"Numbing the pain."

I don't like the pitiful look she throws at me, but I understand where she's coming from. Seeing your best friend suffer is like a stab in the heart.