39.

Fall's' night breeze brushed strands of hair across Asha's face as she sat with her hands wedged between her thighs

Fall's' night breeze brushed strands of hair across Asha's face as she sat with her hands wedged between her thighs. Only the sound of the soft wind pass between her and Sanchez, neither of them knowing where to begin. She was aware of what he wanted to possibly discuss but she had no desire to speak on it. Not with him, not at all. If she wasn't within a courtroom, her lawyer's office or at a precinct, she saw no need to retell the story. It was being dealt with and that was enough for her.

Her eyes were focused on the clear blue pool water that seemed to glow in the moon's light. From her peripheral, she could see him watching her but the magnitude of his stare was much heavier. It was why she hadn't looked at him yet.

His fingers tapped on the glass table they sat at before his voice filled the air, "I wanna ask why....why ignore me instead of telling me, but I know the answer to it. I just don't like it."

Her response was more silence. He seemed to be speaking aloud rather than speaking with the expectation of her replying. It wasn't like she was telling everyone in the world except him. She wanted to keep it from anyone who couldn't offer assistance with keeping Blaze away from her. Sanchez happened to fall in the category. Their friendship had only just begun again.

"You didn't have to come down here. I literally told you I was fine just yesterday." she chose to finally speak.

"When I had no idea what was really going on. Look at your face, man." he sat in a chair beside her, so he easily turned her head to face him. "And this is halfway healed. Ain't no telling how it looked some days ago."

His eyes read so much. She could see the tumbleweed of emotions behind his orbs telling her too many things to figure out at once. But even through the emotional madness, anger couldn't hide. Its ability to tremble a core, set fire to a rage, and alter one's mind could never go unnoticed. She was thankful he chose not to lead with it because no matter what he may have felt, she had no true obligation to tell him anything.

"And still...I'm fine." she tore her eyes away, placing them back on the still water.

"I'm supposed to believe that?" he tried not to grit his teeth. He might've been upset but he was trying to avoid misplacing his anger by coming off aggressive. None of his anger was because of her. It was for her.

"Why wouldn't I be fine? He'll be locked up soon enough. That's all I need."

She was being honest. After a few days of scattering her mind and rummaging through different thoughts, her anger subsided. Anger was heavy and she couldn't carry that. She never could and even in a situation like this it's something she can't hold on to without feeling weighed down. Which was why she had no desire for retaliation because it was far from worth it. Men like Blaze thrived off that type of energy and she wanted no one around her to stoop to his level.

"He'll only do a couple months if they do lock him up. That ain't enough. How are you okay with that?" he leaned his head over, trying to meet her eyes again.