Chapter 38

38

"That thing he did to you..." Beatrice said, rolling her fingers while her brows were furrowed in confusion. "The harm—has he apologized for it? Has he sought for any forgiveness?"

I nodded, "Several times."

"Oh," She turned her eyes away from me. "Well then, have forgiven him?"

I opened my mouth to say something, but nothing left my throat. "I—I don't know if I want to forgive him to for it. It's going to take some time but maybe, I can forgive him for it in the future."

I could.

I never kept any grudges against anyone. I moved past Bryce, forgave him for cheating on me. I could move past King as well, forgive him for his mistake. But that wasn't the problem here.

I didn't know who King was.

What kind of man he was? Where did he come from? What does he do to people? Does he harm people? Does he control people? I barely knew anything about him and everything that I knew came straight from the internet where anyone could search him.

"So, as far as I can tell, if you really like him, you should go for it but if he's a douche, don't. There are many fishes out in the sea. He's not the only one." Beatrice said, speaking too soon.

She wasn't wrong. There were many fishes, but I only wanted one goddamn fish and that was King.

Silence fell between us. Beatrice knocked her elbow to my stomach and quietly whispered, "Is he hot? Because if he's hot then we don't care about anything."

My cheeks turned red in embarrassment. I lowered my head and picked up my phone before turning it on and finding the picture we had clicked together on our last date. It was before King decided to show his wolf to me and shatter my entire world.

"I have this picture, but you can't laugh, and we cannot speak about this again." I said, bringing up the phone and showing Beatrice the picture we had clicked.

It was at the bar, I was chugging on something and he had snapped a photo of us together. Moments after, I was laughing, my gums were showing, and my nose was crooked. While it was a hideous picture, it was still a memory and I enjoyed seeing it.

"Oh, fuck." Beatrice smacked her hand over her mouth, stifling her laughter. Tears formed in her eyes before she moved her hand away. "Oh my god. I'm sorry." She said.

"Don't laugh." I slapped her shoulder before snatching my phone away from her.

Maybe I should've deleted it.

Her laugh continued for a long minute, she cackled and cackled before she ran out of breath and stopped. "Wait, wait." She held her hand near my phone. "That face is familiar. Is that King Emerson?" She asked, calming down, her laughter's finally dying.

"Yes." I responded.

"Wait, what?" Her eyes bulged in horror. "What? What? You're seeing him? Emerson?"

My breath was coming out fast, "Yes."

"Wow," Beatrice sat back on the beach, her eyes still wide in shock. "I can't believe it. He's one of the richest bachelors in the city, probably the top. I had seen him everywhere—TV, magazines and oh, he's hot." She continued, this time with excitement in her words.

"I'm aware."

"But what is he doing here? A small, shady town like this?" She lurched forward and asked.