Chapter 40

40

I took in a raspy breath while trying to understand the local newspapers that dated eight years back, when everything was going wrong in Frostford. There was nothing right and for the most part, it didn't make any sense.

"Oh, wow, that's a lot to take in." I said, tearing my eyes away from the papers and looking elsewhere, hoping to find relief. There were a lot of things that were confusing.

What cults?

"Did you know about this all?" Beatrice asked, astonished by what she had learned. She didn't even seem a little confused or shaken as if it was all normal for her. "It's all so interesting." She continued, glancing at her friend, Hazel who shared the same expression.

Was I the only one going crazy?

I lived here, so did Aunt Carol and somehow, neither of us were aware of things happening around us. Did other people know? How many werewolves were there in this town? How people have been killed or scarified here?

My eyes fell on the clock where the time was ticking near to five. Hours had passed by that I had been sitting here with Beatrice and Hazel, helping them with their assignment. The entire time I had been with them, I hadn't thought about King until after I read the newspaper myself.

Did he have a hand in this all? Was he a part of this? Was he a part of a cult? What was I even thinking?

I grabbed my things and quietly placed them inside my bag before throwing the bag over my shoulder. "Well, I'm going to take my leave. I think I had enough of scares for one day." I said, joking and adding a little humor to the air. "And I've something to catch up with."

"Like meeting your lover?" Beatrice winked.

I swallowed the excitement, but my lips curled themselves into a smile. "I don't know what you're talking about." I turned around, leaving before my cheeks got even redder.

Every time there was a mention of King—lover—a thousand sparks blew in my stomach even when I was uncertain about him. Everything inside me wanted him, even if it all was wrong.

"Goodbye. Have a fun time!" She exclaimed as I tried to rush of the library. Her stare and judgement burned right through me, but I didn't mind.

I had someone to share things with, someone apart from Aunt Carol and it mattered—even if it was just for a few days.

As I got inside the car, I pulled out my phone and checked on the messages King had left me moments earlier. It was almost five and he was nearly landing back into Frostford after a day of being away. The distance was troubling, something inside me was quaking, begging, and praying to him to return and I understood who it was.

My goddamn wolf.

I wasn't sure if I had to name her. Did I?

I shook away those thoughts and focused on the messages. He had dropped a location where he had wished to see me. Upon opening it, I found it to be inside Frostford. The Carrice Manor.

Find your way in if you can. King.

A scoff slipped past my lips before I shook my head and closed my phone. My hand fell over the steering well and after starting the engine, I began driving.

The time went past five soon and it was nearing six by the time I reached the manor. From the outside, it seemed abandoned, as it was supposed to be. There were no cars parked and no one was roaming around except for the guards on duty near the gates.

The sky changed colors as I rolled down my window to speak to one of the guards. I could find my way in, only if they were going to let me in.

"I'm here to see King." I said, excitement in my voice. It was a struggle to keep the negative thoughts away from my head. For now, I just wanted to be in peace, relieved of all the worldly problems.

I could question him later, clear my doubts in the future. It didn't need to be done immediately.

The guard nodded and signaled the other guard to open the gates. The shiny golden gates of the Carrice manor slid open and I drove past it. For the next several minutes, I kept driving, taking rounds of the entire manor before reaching the main driveway.

My car came to a halt. I stepped out and shivered underneath the cold. My eyes wandered over the manor. There was a large door, the main entrance to the manor but it wasn't the entrance, it was just a door. There was a smaller door beside the larger one. To anyone else, it seemed like the entrance to a basement or someplace else, but it wasn't.

The smaller door at the lower part of the manor was the main entrance.

My hand curled around the handle. I hesitated before opening it and letting myself inside quietly. It was deadly silent around me. There were only faded sounds of cars passing by the town roads nearby.

Upon entering, my eyes connected with King, and we shared a smile.

"I found my way in," I said, sounding a little nervous.

"I hope you can find your way out as well." He neared me. The black in his eyes grew wider as his gaze swept over me. Silence fell between us. I made small movement, moving a little back and forth while my heart raced. "Come here." He said.

I took the few steps to him before his hand slipped underneath my hair and his lips swept over mine. My eyes shut close immediately as I melted into another world. My head felt lighter than ever, almost like a cloud when he kissed me.

Instead of letting out a moan, I purred, against his lips. In surprise, I quickly backed away and placed my hand over my mouth. "I'm sorry."

"Don't be." He pulled me closer by my waist and pressed his lips over mine once more.

I barely breathed.

Read the full book on Patreon; www.patreon.com/miakerr