Chapter 44

44

King brushed his hand over my arm before inching closer toward me. My eyes slipped close, and I breathed out in exhaustion. Everything unraveled fast and I didn't get a moment to think. It continued to confuse me to how I turned into them—a werewolf.

"How many more are there in this town?" I asked, my eyes still shut.

"The town is full of them. Soon enough, you'll be able to sniff them out." He whispered while turning over the bed to near me. "But you don't have to worry about anything, Eos. You're mine to take care of and I promise, I won't let anything come near you or your family." His fingers travelled down my cheek and underneath my chin. I melted under his touch and found my shoulders slumping back onto the headboard of the bed.

I felt at peace being around King and I didn't want the feeling to go away.

He slipped his arm underneath my head, and I crawled over in his embrace. I had never felt safe in anyone else's embrace except for his. My eyes opened a little and I rushed my arms across his powerful arms. His muscles bulged and throbbed with his every movement. And it felt like a fantasy, like I was living in a dream.

"As for everything else, you will learn eventually. Our world isn't scary, not as scary as you think it is. The wolves here go by a code and a rule, we don't kill anyone unless required and we don't bring harm upon any innocent souls." He continued, his arms swallowing me at this point as he pulled me nearer to him.

I felt my heart racing once more in my chest and the little tickles running into my stomach. Raising my head, I met with his eyes, "I want to be with you." I whispered.

He smiled at me, "Really?"

"But I'm afraid." I quickly said.

"Of what?" His cheerful smile disappeared.

"Of you..." I trailed off.

King didn't see it coming. It was unexpected, for both of us. He tore his eyes away from me. Silence crawled between us. I waited for something, a response, or an answer—something.

Seconds passed by and he finally spoke, "I'm not a monster," He lowered his gaze to me while his fingers returned to my face, brushing strands of hair behind my ear and tracing down my jaw. "I will never harm you," His eyes darkened. "You're my mate and I can't even think about you getting hurt. You're mine, pup." His voice grew rougher, louder, and sharper as he became possessive.

His face fell between my neck. He took a sniff of my scent and while holding him, I felt his body harden. "Be mine for a day and I'll right everything wrong." He said, raising his head back up and meeting with my eyes.

"A day?" I furrowed my brows.

What was going to happen in a day?

"Just a day and I promise, all your worries will fade, and you'll be happy." He replied, concerned.

Seeing a man all tensed up for me was something different—it was strong and meaningful for me. King was here, willing to do anything for me and it was all genuine.

He wanted me.

And it wasn't just for sex.

We had been past that stage, we had sex and instead of him leaving and rushing away from me, he was here, waiting for me.

I couldn't reject that.

"Okay," I placed my arm over his shoulder and curled around him. "One day."

"Good. You'll go home now, and I'll pick you up by midnight. Don't get anything, just yourself." He said, his voice jumping with joy.

I grew suspicious. What was he going to do with me in one day? My lips tightened and then turned into a stiff smile. "Don't kidnap me again." I warned him while hitting my fist over his chest. The last time wasn't as much fun as I thought it would be.

"I won't." He chuckled, shaking his head.

I returned home in no time and found Beatrice outside on the porch, sitting underneath the streetlight and shaving through a dozen of papers. Only then I remembered of the assignment she was doing on the town.

Werewolves lived in secrecy. They couldn't be found. So how was this allowed? Did King know about this? He had to be informed of the students arriving in town and researching about the town. Or was he not?

"Hey! What you up to?" I asked, stepping out of my car, and walking toward the porch. It was ice cold outside and yet Beatrice enjoyed doing her work here. She was a different child since the beginning, since I knew her.

ke

Her face glowed with joy as she found me. "Aha! You're back. How was your date with your lover?" She questioned, quickly jumping on me.

"It was good." I replied while rolling my eyes. It wasn't helping, hiding my love life from Beatrice as she could read everything on my face. I had previously shared most of the things with her. There was no longer the need to hide.

Her eyes widened and she squeezed my hand, "Is he still hot? Did you have sex with him again? Are you still keeping him as FWB?"

I tried not to roll my eyes again, but it happened itself. Sitting down, I took a few swings on the porch swing Aunt Carol had kept some few years ago. "Yes, he is still hot—" Very hot. "And there are some things I would like to keep private, like my sex life." When I looked at her, I found her gawking at me.

I wasn't sure if she was reacting on my sex life or the fact that I was dating a well-known billionaire.

"But are you planning onto being his girlfriend? Because if you do, it's going to be all over the news and there will be photos taken." Beatrice said, not taking a single breath.

I couldn't risk being seen by anyone, nor photographed. Solely because the people who had killed my parents had to be out there, still seeking for me and I couldn't lead them my way. I've lived the past six years in secrecy, keeping away from everything. There wasn't even a single time I had driven out of the town.

But that was going to change tonight.

"I'm not sure yet, Beatrice. I'm still considering."

Suddenly, a voice appeared behind me. I flinched and turned around to find Aunt Carol standing near the day. She had her one had placed against the railing and the other one hanging from her shoulder.

"You're seeing someone?" Her left brow quirked. She didn't seem happy, and I understood the reason well.

"No—I mean, yes but it's not serious yet. I wanted to tell you, but I didn't know how to after the whole Bryce thing." I said quickly before her temper shot. Then, she wasn't going to talk to me for days.

Aunt Carol was terrified of me seeing someone new. My last relationship with Bryce was terrible and she was the only one who understood. She warned me, a dozen times to stay away from Bryce but I didn't listen. At the end of the day, after he cheated on me and we parted ways, I was the only hurt and dealing with different addictions.

I regretted dating Bryce. If it weren't for him, I wouldn't have wasted my past few years. Instead, I would've become something. I might have graduated and doing a good job somewhere in the town.

Aunt Carol was scared from my choices in men, and she didn't want me to repeat the same mistake again. I didn't tell her about King, she had her own opinions on the Emerson's and found them dangerous.

I followed Carol to her room and sat down with her for a minute.

"I know what you think it is but it's nothing like that. I'm seeing someone and he's great, in every way. I promise I'll tell you more details about him and I can tell you will like him." I said, hoping she would understand.

The frown didn't flinch off her face. "I'm scared for you, Eos. I don't want you to waste another year on someone who isn't right for you."

"I know, I know but I've learned a lot from my mistakes. I promise, this is nothing like before." I placed my hand over her and gave her my word.

Only after believing it, she nodded her head and let it rest aside for the moment.

Read the full book on Patreon; www.patreon.com/miakerr