01. {new girls in town}

─── ∙ ~εïз~ ∙ ───

─── ∙ ~εïз~ ∙ ───

in hawkins middle school, mr scott clarke slammed a brain replica onto its stand, "meet the human brain. i know. i know, it doesn't look like much."

most of the class had their heads on the desk while michael wheeler, lucas sinclair and dustin henderson were the only ones that looked interested. those boys adored science, it was so fascinating to them, and they had the pleasure of being taught by their favourite teacher.

usually, william byers would be feeling the same. but the young boy had seen a mean message left in his locker which ruined his day.

"a little gross even, right? but consider this." mr clarke continued, "here are a hundred billion cells inside of this miracle of evolution. all working as one. no, no, i did not misspeak. i did not stutter." mr clarke rambled, "one hundred billion."

the door suddenly opened and a young girl, who was standing with principal coleman, stepped in. she had long, fiery red hair with ocean blue eyes and sun-tanned skin while her expression showed she didn't want to be there.

"this must be our new student." mr clarke turned to the two.

"indeed. all yours." mr coleman nodded, "but there's one more."

"one more?" dustin whispered to lucas, who was sitting beside him.

the new girl tried to walk to one of the empty seats right at the back, but she was stopped by mr clarke.

"all right. hold up. you don't get away that easy." mr clarke stated, "come on up. don't be shy. dustin, drum roll."

the curly-headed boy began lightly drumming his textbook with a grin on his face.

"class, please welcome, all the way from sunny california, the latest passenger to join us on our curiosity voyage... maxine!" mr clarke introduced her.

"it's max." she mumbled.

"sorry?"

"nobody calls me 'maxine', it's max." max mayfield stated with a tinge of irritation laced in her voice.

"mad max." lucas muttered.

"well, all aboard max." mr clarke smiled before going back to his lesson.

the four boys' eyes tracked maxine mayfield as she paced to her chair. right as she sat down, mr coleman entered the room again but with a different girl.

"this is felicity." mr coleman explained, "she didn't particularly want to come in today - we almost had to chase her down."

"almost." the girl highlighted with a smile.

she was felicity jeong-adams. the girl had smooth, olive-tanned skin, a dark brown, curly afro and gentle brown eyes. she had been running later than everyone else as her grandmother was taking her time.