Prologue - Lady in the White

Earth, year 2138.

 Our once beautiful, green planet isn't what it was in the past. Now, giant, green clouds of pollution cover the sky and piles of waste litter the area around Mega Cities where everyone now lives. But even in those cities, they could not escape the hellish place that earth became. Just to get from building to building one needs to walk around in protective suit with a gas mask, and those who don't wear them? They will sooner or later die.

 Homeless litter the streets, men, women and even kids die from either starvation or sickness. Some resort to thievery, beggin or even prostitution to only stay alive. But even in these dark times, shines a light of hope...

 Tall man walks though the dark streets of Tokyo, his dark green protective suit hiding his true apperance. With his right hand he holds a brown case and  with his left one, bouquet of flowers. Bouquet of red camellia that are of course made of plastic as buying a real ones is something that even a man of his status could not afford. 

 This man's name is Tokita Ketsueki, a 33 year old man that works for the military. He is a veteran of Japan-Korea war that happen in the year 2125. Memories, or rather nightmares of that time still linger in him but he decided to stay in this job. No only is the pay good but also they recognized his talent and put him to work as commanding officer of one of Tokyo's many garrisons.

 That was another reality of this accursed world that most people hate. War was something much more common. As if they went back in time to the medieval times or even earlier. Countries fought for natural resources that were now on the brink of depleting or land that was not touched by the pollution.

 But right now Tokita's mind pushed back his horrid memories and he focused on the task at hand. He marched forward towards one of two places where he was at peace. When he was in front of it, his eyes scanned the exterior of it. 

 He was in front of one of many Tokyo's hospitals. It's walls dark and dirty, it looked not like place where they save life but where they end it. He sighed and entered the building. First he was meet with a decontamination chamber that made sure no bacteria or viruses enter the hospital with him.

 When the decontamination process ended he went to a locker room where he was left his suit. He then walked up to a reception, smiling towards woman behind it. Behind the counter was a young woman in her twenties, Tokita realized she must be new here. When she looked towards him her eyes widen slightly before smiling, 

 Tokita despite his age and environment's condition was a good looking man, he could thank military food and training for that. He was tall, well build man. He had black, short hair and a short beard that didn't seem to be neatly done but still looked good. He was also wearing his usual suit making him look professional.

 He once again smiled towards the receptionist. 

"Hello. I came here to see mine wife."

 Receptions nodded and began to type into her computer, checking if Tokita really had a wife here. 

"Your wife's name, sir?"

"Isabella Ketsueki..."

 Receptionist's eyes were glued to the screen few seconds before nodding.

"Yes, she is here. Please go to the room number-!"

"I know where she is."

 Tokita said calmly before turning around and entering an elevator. His ride was quiet, he didn't even thought about anything. He just waited...

 When the elevator doors opened he walked out with a hurried step, he could not wait to see her. After walking past few rooms he stopped at a room with number 231. His eyes focused on the door handle and stayed there for few seconds before he opened those doors.

 When he walked in he was meet with a white room. The only things in that room where a hospital bed, table, chair and a lot of machinery. And of course, there was Isabella...

 She was the most beautiful woman in his world but her time in coma did not spare her. Her blonde hair lost most of it color as if becoming white or translucent. Her skin was pale and she lost a lot of fat, making her cheeks fall in slightly. On her face was a mask with tube going in, this way she was able to breath.

 She fell into coma ten years ago after...partially successful suicide attempt. When Tokita came back home from work he saw her hanging in the living room. Somehow they were able to keep her alive, even if in coma. 

 Tokita stood there for few seconds, his eyes focused on her face. He then took a deep breath and walked up. He looked at the table and saw there a vase, he grabbed it and looked inside but saw no water in it.  He placed it back down and put inside the flowers he brought, it's not like they need water.

 After that he sit down on the chair next to her bed and grabbed her hand carefully. He smiled slightly as he felt her skin still being warm. 

"Hello, darling. I brought you some flowers and I am sorry that they are not real. When they give me mine pay I will be sure to buy you some real ones..."

 He bit his lip after he said that, tears already threatening to leave his eyes. She was the only things that made him cry. He saw many horrible things and saw his comrades die, but only she could make him cry. 

 His tears were those of grief and...guilt. It was his fault she was like this. It was his own fault and no one else's. For few minutes, room was filed with sounds of nothing else but medical instruments and Tokita softly crying. 

 After few minutes he took in a deep breath and calmed down. He smiled again and placed down on her bed the case he brought with himself. When he opened it, he pulled out of it a special headset and cable. This headset was used to play virtual games.

"You remember Yggdrasil, right? And the guild we joined, Ainz Ooal Gown? Yeah well, Momonga became the Guild Master, amazing isn't it?!"

 He chuckled as memories of his wife and friends playing together replayed themselves in his head. 

"Unfortunately, today is game's last day. They are going to shut it down....Yeah, I know. It is sad. So many memories that we made with our friends will disappear....So many memories of you..."

 He looked down at Isabella and smiled sadly before standing up. He walked towards one of the corners and from there pulled closer to Isabella's bed a big machine.

"Well, Momonga send me an email. He wanted to meet up in game at the last day. He was hoping to see us for the last time."

He connected headset to the machine by the wire and sat back down with it in his hands. He looked down on it.

"You know, I thought it would be impossible to get this thing in here. But...I guess when you have money, you can anything. It's sad, isn't it? To be born in such cruel world..."

 He looked back at Isabella and slowly put on the headset on her before inserting another cable into the hole slightly above here neck. He sat back down and sighed.

"I...I know it won't work but...Even if there is a chance that that giant brain of yours will be able to use it....Just so I can say I am sorry. It would be enough for me..."

 Tokita stood up and walked towards the doors, but just before he left. He looked over his shoulder and smiled at Isabella.

"Please...Wake up."