Chapter 13

{Reader's POV}

        Sunlight flooded the room as I opened the curtains, making me wince and shield my eyes with a soft groan. The chain rattled lightly as I crossed the room to the dresser, pulling out some clothes for the day, though I wasn't planning to change just yet. Usually I liked to start the day with a shower before changing my bandages, but I couldn't really do that while wearing the shackle on my ankle.

        In the end, Jack never had come to my room last night. As a result, I'd been stuck in the shackle all night long, which made it pretty hard to sleep. Even if I wasn't wearing it, though, I doubted I'd have gotten much sleep. After hearing Jack scream like that I wasn't really that sleepy. Just remembering it sent shivers down my spine. As terrifying as he usually was, hearing that violent swirl of fear and anguish in his voice had been so painful.

        Hesitating, I steeled myself and opened the door, peering into the hallway. "...Jack?" I called softly. Getting no response, I slowly walked to the end of the hall as far as the chain would let me, and cautiously glanced around. From where I stood I could see most of the cabin's main room. There was a noticeable dent in the wall by the front door, the plaster cracked and broken in, and I couldn't help noting it seemed to be fist-sized. That explained all that thumping last night. There was no sign of Jack, though, so I retreated back into the hallway.

        Since the bathroom door was open, he must still be in his room. It was at the back end of the hall, and I hadn't even walked in that direction since arriving. I stared at his door from a distance, feeling a small shiver. I didn't really want to wake him up. Dejected, I turned and walked back to my room when suddenly I heard a gasp from Jack's room. I tensed, listening closely. It almost sounded like... sobbing?

        Slowly I walked to the door, hesitating before knocking. "Jack?" I called softly. The sounds stopped, and after a few moments I inhaled sharply and called again, "Jack? Are... are you in there?" There was a pause, but then I heard some shuffling from inside and the doorknob turned. When the door opened, I nearly stumbled back at the sight. Jack stood in the doorway, wearing a black tank top and sweatpants. His brown hair was incredibly messy, strands sprouting out in every direction from behind his mask which seemed to have been put on haphazardly. What really caught my attention, though, was his body. This was the first time I'd seen him out of his usual black hoodie and jeans combo, and I couldn't help noticing how thin his gray arms were. One of his hands was also bandaged.

        "What is it, [Name]?" he mumbled groggily, lifting his mask a little as he yawned.

        "Well, uh..." I stammered, already regretting knocking on his door. Shuffling my feet nervously, the chain rattled a bit. Suddenly Jack gave a startled yelp and jumped back.

        "NO!" he screamed, scrambling back and shaking his head violently. "STAY AWAY! LEAVE ME ALONE! LEAVE ME ALONE!" Startled by the sudden outburst, I backed away only to trip over the chain and fall. I yelped, more out of surprise than pain, and Jack suddenly froze. Slowly his shoulders slumped as he relaxed and shook his head, mumbling curses under his breath, before glancing down at me. I shrunk under his gaze, scooting away until my back was pressed against the wall. He gave a small sigh and stepped towards me, and I flinched and closed my eyes. After a few moments nothing happened, though, and I cautiously opened one eye to peek at him.