Chapter 12

{Jack's POV}

        Frustration filled Jack as he returned to the cabin, slamming the door behind him. He tossed his mask onto the table and slammed his fist on the wall, shoulders heaving as he seethed with silent rage. Yet again, another failed night of hunting. Every evening he'd practice on dummies before hunting, but after eight days he'd only recovered a fraction of his original skill. More often than not, he had to sedate or slit his victims' throats before removing their organs because he still felt too weak to guarantee a successful kill if they were conscious.

        This time, though, it wasn't because of his weakness. He'd been at his peak today, the best he'd been since escaping captivity. No, this time he failed because he'd been distracted by the male occupant of the house he targeted. When he climbed into the window and found him asleep on the couch Jack had been shocked to see him. The man was grizzled and tan, with a bit of a beard and balding at the top. Everything about him looked just like Buddy.

        At that moment, something made Jack freeze. It felt as if he was paralyzed, his chest constricting violently. His breathing suddenly became labored and heavy, his heart pounding in his chest so loudly he could hear it. Dizziness overcame him and he nearly fell to his knees, his hands numb as he pressed against the wall to steady himself. Sweat rolled down his face, and he trembled uncontrollably for no reason.

        During this little moment, of course the guy woke up and saw him. His startled shout snapped Jack out of whatever was happening to him, and he quickly silenced the man, slashing his throat with his scalpel, before running down the hall. The shout had been directed to some woman in another room, telling her to run, and Jack had to quickly take care of her. By the time he found her hiding in a closet she was already on the line with the local emergency dispatcher, and after slashing her throat Jack was forced to flee empty-handed before police arrived.

        Thinking about it made his blood broil. It was just so frustrating, so... so... Jack screamed as he pounded the wall again, his fist slamming it so hard that the drywall cracked and broke from the impact, leaving a sizable dent and his fist bloody. Sucking in his breath, he gritted his teeth as he clutched his bleeding hand, the pain quickly replaced by numbness. Tears welled in his eyes as he slowly slid to the ground, his vision blurring.

        Why?

        Why did he feel like this?

        Why had he frozen up then?

        Why did he feel so afraid?

        Suddenly he found himself back in that dungeon of a basement, sitting on the cold floor with his arms chained to the wall above his head. Panic filled him as he rattled the chains, struggling to break free. The metal balls encasing his hands rang as they banged against the wall behind him, the loud ringing sounds making him wince. Desperately he yelled, wordless screams and cries for help. Silent tears trickled down his cheeks as he heard a dark chuckle from across the room.

        "Struggle all you want, but you won't be able to escape anytime soon," a deep voice declared. "You'll be here a looong time." It began laughing malevolently as Jack continued thrashing against his restraints.