Chapter four | not again

Valerie groaned as she rested her head on the counter with her arms draped over it. She sat in a small wheeling chair with her feet dangling down. She had grown a bit since moving to Hawkins and her feet could now touch the ground when she sat. She happily teased Max every time they were together as now Valerie was taller than her, but only by an inch Max would tell her. Though Not for long since Valerie continued to grow. She twisted her hips in the chair as she waited and hoped for a costumer to come a pull her from her boredom.

The door opened and the bell jingled and Valerie had to resist the urge to groan. The smug walk and green jersey giving away who it was before she saw his face.

Chance, one of Hawkins basketball players, walked in with an annoying smirk on his face. He walked to the nearest shelf selected a random movie and made his way to the counter. Val quickly looked around the store for Steve or Robin but the two were no where to be found. She thought to make a run for it but he had already made it to the counter.

He smiled slyly as he set the folk on the counter, "I'd like to rent this please."

She looked down at the movie and knew for a fact he hadn't even looked at it, "didn't take you for a sixteen candles fan."

"What!" He shot his head down and he flushed, "It's for my sister!"

"Is it?"

"Yeah! I'm more into MadMax!"

"No way," she grin with fake excitement, "me too!"

"Really?"

"Yeah, you have no idea."

He smiled and leaned closer elbows resting on the counter. She pulled back as he did and crossed her arms over her chest.

"I saw you at the game last night."

"I'm a cheerleader. I have to be there."

"Yeah." He smirked, "I thought you looked really nice, I was sad to see you weren't at the after party. You're cousin was there."

"I'm not a party person."

"Maybe I could change your mind? I'm heading back there after this. Or not, maybe we could just hang out sometime?" Valerie felt her face instantly drop and be replaced with a glare.

"Can't sorry."

Like always he took this as a maybe and slid even closer with a big smile. "What you've got plans with someone else?"

"Yup."

"Oh yeah? Who?"

"Your dad." He blinked at her, "he might even leave your mom for me. Guess you'll have to start calling me mommy."  He stared at her shocked and slightly anger but still didn't say anything, probably expecting her to laugh and agree to the date.

"My answer is no." She said after a moment, "Not yes and not maybe. It's no. Like the other billion times you've asked."

She could feel her anger and annoyance rising rapidly. She had always been quick to anger but lately it's reached a new level. She sighed trying to calm herself, it didn't work, and quickly rang him up on the film.

"That'll be $2.15." She told him through a glare and gritted teeth. He didn't say anything and instead began to pulled at the collar of his shirt.

When he finally spook it was quick and slightly panicked, "Is it just me or did it just get really hot in here?"

"Just you. $2.15." Her glaring grew harsher and he fanned himself even faster. This continued until a hand grabbed her shoulder pulling away her attention and she dropped her glare. That same moment Chance seemed to go back to normal.

She turned to see Steve behind her giving a worried look. Stunned for a moment she shot up from the chair and brushed off his hand. "I'm taking five," with that she walked away and out the back, the door slamming shut behind her.

She aggressively kicked at the gravel her hands in the pockets of her jacket. She had calmed down slightly using the breathing technique her mom made her use. She leaned against the brick wall and slowly slid down until she sat on the gravel. It was a few minutes before Steve walked out the door. He looked around a moment before his eyes fell on her and he quickly sat down next to her.

Neither said a word and as the silence continued Valerie pulled her knees to her chest and ducked her head.

"You okay kid?" He asked resting his hand on her back gently.

"Yeah just peachy."

He obviously wasn't convinced, "You wanna talk about it?"

"Nothing to talk about!" She stood up and dusted off her jeans, "I'm fine." And she walked back inside with Steve hot on her heels. She walked right up to the counter and sat back in her chair next to Robin. The two teens shared a look and went to speak when the doors slammed open. And in walked in Hope, Max, and Dustin.

The three walked up to the counter, Dustin speaking first, "Hey Steve how many phones do you have?"

"What?"

"How many phones do you have?" He asked again more demanding.

"Two," Valerie told him

"But three if you count Keith's in the back," Robin added.

They shared a look, "three works."

Without a second thought Dustin threw his bag I've rather counter and then climbed over it himself.

"Dude what the fuck!" Valerie yelled as things went crashing to the ground.

He immediately went to the computer with Steve hovering behind him, "what are you doing man?" Steve asked as he began typing.

"Setting up a base of operation!"

"What!"

Valerie groaned with irritation and walked over to Max and Hope who stood beside Dustin. "What the hells happening right now?"

Max and Hope shared a look and then back to her. Valerie felt her heart sink slightly. "You sure?"

They didn't respond so she reached out and grabbed Max's hand, and squeezed it gently. Max turned to her and shrugged. "We're not sure but maybe."

Valerie didn't say anything just nodded and turned back to Dustin who was still typing at the computer. She drowned them out and looked to the ground. With only on thing one her mind.

Not again

A/n:

Aww our little angry angel finally had her growth spurt. So she's like 5'4 now since that's how tall Sofia Bryant is. And Sadie is like 5'3 so Val is officially taller than Max.

Also if you're not already aware I do have a TikTok under the same name deadlylilac I actually post a lot so y'all should check it out.

Also we're four chapters into act three and it should be a crime how little we've seen of Max and Val I'm gonna have to fix that moving forward lol.