Chapter 4

I scrubbed the hallway floors so hard my knuckles began to shift color. I wasn't going to stop until I could see my reflection in the white tile, even if I had to suffer through the blisters presented to me by my rubber gloves.

It had a been a few days since I began sleeping on Nathan's couch. I wasn't going to complain because my back problems had left me as soon as I woke up the first morning. Every morning I would have the same meal- cold oatmeal- and would go back to my prison room to change and shower.

"If you clean any harder I think your hand might fall off," Nathan teased. I turned my head to him and blew wisps of brown hair out of my eyes.

"Well, maybe if your shoes weren't so dirty, I wouldn't have to!" I complained, gesturing to the dusty footprints he was leaving.

"Sorry," he said sheepishly.

"How do you all even track dirt in here," I huffed while putting the brush back into the water, sloshing around as it did. I picked the bucket and heaved it to a nearby cleaning closet where I dunked out the murky water.

"Captain Ray has requested to see you," he informed me. His honey eyes were serious and concerned.

"Oh my goodness," I said exasperated. "A visit from our gracious dictator? What a prize," I rolled my eyes.

Nathan grabbed my forearm. "Be careful with what you say. Ears are everywhere here."

I shrugged his arm off my shoulder and began walking behind him. "Where is 'here' anyway?"

"We're under South Lake City."

"What?" I stopped in the hallway. "We're under the capital city of one of Illèa's most prominent states?"

Nathan narrowed his eyes and lifted his eyebrows. "Under the lake. We've been here for years. Now come on."

I caught up to him before he stopped in front of the elaborate white doors. I pushed them open and Nathan followed behind me. Ray spun around in his wheeled chair like a small child would have, his fingertips connecting on the opposite hand.

"You've brought it?" He asked in his smooth, oily voice.

Nathan rolled his eyes. "Yes, Father, I brought the girl."

"What do you want?" I cocked my head to the side, growing impatient.

"You will watch your tone of voice when you speak to me, slave!" He spat. He regained his posture and cleared his throat. "You'll be writing a letter," he said surprisingly calm.

"To whom?" I questioned. Why would I be writing a letter?

"The Royals, of course. You're going to tell them to stop looking for you. Their searches are truly becoming annoying."

"They're looking for me?" I whispered barely audible.

"Yes, and they will never find you," he snapped. "Now, begin your message. You now have undying loyalty to the Confederation Patriots Association. Be sure to be very convincing."

I took a large gulp and sat down across from him. I gathered the pen into my hand before contemplating what to write. I was nervous; how could I tell Aaron my location, as well as the fact I am safe? It finally hit me, and my thoughts came down like a brick wall.

I was going to use Legend.

I wrote hastily, my cursive handwriting developing a few flaws. The two men loomed over me, they're golden eyes analyzing and speculating. When I was finally done, I signed my name and put the pen down.

To whom it may concern,

This is Elisa Talia Carams, former lady of Illèa, caste two citizen, member of the selected, and future lady of the leader of the Confederation Patriots Association.

Although I may have resided in Illea, I am now a member of the Confederation Patreots Association. My loyalty resites with them. I have konformed to the insurgent ways of the rebellyon, the tyranny of the Schreave monarkhy shall end with Prince Aaron Ethan Schreave.

He will be the source of your destrustion. Every knee will bow to our own great and glorious leader and chieftan, Captain Ferradas Ray. Leave the confederate forces to do their bidding, and some citizens of Illèa live's shall be spared. Please do not seek out my location, nor the Confederation Patriots Association, who will be triumphent.

-Elisa Talia Carams of the CPA

I misspelled words and added letters, which when rearranged, would spell out S LAKE CITY. I also threw in 'help' in the last paragraph by spelling the odd out with each beginning letter of every sentence.

"Is this ok?" I asked tiredly. Ray snapped the paper out of my hands and skimmed the paper, then handing the sheet off the Nathan.

"It will do. For a two, I thought you'd have much better grammar," he said in an unplaceable accent.

"Sorry to disappoint," I said sarcastically.

"You two may leave. Get cleaned up for dinner; you smell like cleaning products," he scrunched up his nose.

"Yes, master, I live to serve," I said monotonously. Nathan cracked a smile as he led me to my prisoner room.

"Hurry up and get ready," he commanded.

"You're not the boss of me," I grumbled before grabbing another random dress and heading into my small bathroom.

I got into the shower cubicle and washed off every source of grime and product. I used the cheap soap to wash over my body before drying myself with a thread-bare towel. I shook out my hair, and put it over my shoulders. I pulled the dress up on my body.

I realized the back of the dress had a zipper and groaned. My maids had always done the zipper for me, and my other dresses had elastic. I shamefully opened the door to see Nathan reading on my previous sleeping arrangement.

"Can you help me?" I asked timidly.

"With what?" He asked confusedly. I turned around so he could see my open back. He sighed and got off the bed.

He put a hand on my lower back, and the other zipped up the dress. His hand lingered a moment longer than they should have, so I cleared my throat. "Thank you," I said with a blush rising to my cheeks.

"Not so fast, Princess," he smirked evilly. "I know what you did."

"What are you talking about?" I denied.

"The letter," he whispered in my ear. "I know. "

"You know what?" I gulped.

"I've read Legend," he chuckled darkly. "I know you gave way to our location."