Chapter 11

𝗫𝗜𝗔𝗢'𝗦 𝗣𝗘𝗥𝗦𝗣𝗘𝗖𝗧𝗜𝗩𝗘

My heart was pounding violently, and I felt as if it was going to pop out of my chest as Barbatos brought his face closer to mine— so close in fact that I could feel his hot breath brush against my cold cheeks.

I wanted to push him away, but fear struck me, making me unable to move away from him, and all I could do was sit there helplessly.

I'd never felt such a horrible panic rise up inside of me. I fear no vampire—, but witches are a different kind from that of a blood sucking bat. They're creatures that can do anything.

From turning a man into a frog to completely destroying a country. Most of them could be considered pure evil. The devil even-, and I was staring at one right in the face.

I'd fucked up.

I messed up the entire mission by having my identity revealed; and it was barely the end of the first month since I first arrived here in Barbatos' arms.

He only continued to inch closer to me, examining my face. His hands were pressed against my cheeks until they slid down to reach for my throat. His soft, slim fingers gaped at my neck as I flinched.

"Mhmm~...!" My voice managed to squeeze out of me. His eyes that followed his hands down to my throat suddenly looked up at me with a pleased look.

My breath hitched as he pressed his thumb into my pulse— and once I finally snapped out of my trance, I tried to push him away, but he caught my hand and stared at me with a grin.

By the looks of it, he was obviously enjoying this— getting a kick of laughter out of my fear.

"Aww, I thought someone such as the great and almighty Alatus would put up more of a fight in a situation like this." He smiled, holding onto my hands and bringing them closer to him as he let my palm slide against his chest. "But look at you now," He cooed.

I flinched, snatching my hand back as I shot him a sharp glare.
"Don't touch me." I snarled, feeling no need to play around with him and pretend to be a helpless, naive little boy anymore.

"Don't be so harsh, Xiao. I thought I taught you better then to raise your voice at me." He said, putting a finger up to my lips and hushing me. "You'll wake up Dvalin, and we wouldn't want that to happen, now would me?"

I pushed his hand away from my face.
"How'd you find out who I was." I questioned him, getting straight to it without hesitation.

"Well you made it quite obvious, don't you think?" He chuckled, folding his arms and pushing back on his seat before looking back at me. "I mean-, seriously. The way you handled this whole thing was a complete mess. From your terrible acting to the incident at Mondstadt with that alchemist. Not to mention how horrible you are at hiding this elixir."

He brought his hand up, waving it around both mine and his face as the substance in it splashed around the sides of the glass bottle with little bubbles forming in it.

"On top of that—, you aren't even a witch hunter! I mean-...oh god." He rubbed his forehead, letting out a sigh. "What were your superiors thinking sending a vampire hunter over to Mondstadt to hunt down a witch?"

He—.. was right, actually. I was just blindly following orders. I have no clue why they couldn't just send off a talented witch hunter from Mondstadt to do the mission? If they were in need of a witch hunter from Liyue, why not call up on someone like Keqing to take the job?

She was an actual witch hunter, and a professional one at that to top it off.

"I don't know why they sent me to do this job instead of some other witch hunter. I was just following orders from Rex Lapis—"