110

Thank you so much for worrying about me and my health and studies. I was travelling, a bit busy. On top of it the s is my longest chapter yet. About 8000 words. And this is after writing it whole and cutting it short.
Thank you for waiting and for being this caring.

*********************************

Bondita was sitting on her bed reading a novel in one lamp on her side table. The footsteps made her close the book.

" Ji Pati Babu..."

Aniruddh peaked in smiling. Coming in and closing the door he sat at the edge of the bed. " How did you know it was me ? I didn't even knock."

" I know your footsteps." She saw his smile as he placed both his hands on the edge and turn his head away from her looking at the door.

" I have to tell you something Bondita. I don't know how..."

Bondita saw the smile drop and she too put her feet down sitting beside him. " Do tell..."

" I have to go."

" You just came." She laughed lightly. Did he come to just look at her ? The idea made her blush as she swayed her dangling feet making his payal jingle.

" I mean..." He too didn't want to say she had misinterpreted him. " Out of town." The jingling stopped. " Calcutta."

" Why ?" She asked quitly. The embarassment of misunderstanding him gone as soon as it came by the news of him going away.

" Case. A high profile one. I had been wanting to be a part of it. My... senior was handling it till now and he seems to need help."

Bondita looked up at him. " Your senior needs your help ? You must be even better than him."

His light laugh filled the room. " I am glad you think so but no. It is not so. Just sometimes...you need someone's perception. A new out look. A new idea. That doesn't mean I am better than him. It just means he trusts me enough to involve me."

" Like me ?" Her eyes lit up. " Like... when I...maybe helped you with... the...child marriage law."

" Yes. Just like that. " He pinched her nose lightly. " You brought to me ideas that were infront of me but...I just couldn't see. Just could not reach. I just wish I do half as good job you did for me." He wanted to hold her hand and tell her that, tell her how exactly she had helped him. Saved him.

" I was not...that helpful." She could not bring herself to look at him. Him praising her for using her heart and brain. For thanking her for saving him. Saving him from separation from her.

" Some one is trying to be humble. But your smile is giving it away." He poked her right cheek.

" How long ?"

" Two weeks."

" Pati Babu...!" They both looked at each other intently. The lamp from behind her was casting off images in his dark eyes.

" What ?" He tilted his head to look at her properly. " Should I not go ?"

Bondita didn't want him to go. Obviously. Why now ? It was just now that she was dancing in rain, in his arms. Talking of future. Baby... And... It was just unexpected news. One that was both happy and sad. " Ofcourse you should go. It is a big case you say. You having been wanting to be a part of it..."

" For so long." He huffed. He was excited for it. He really was. But he had certain other plans too that were important. He glanced at her sideways. Very important.

" When...?"

" As soon as possible. Maybe...a day or so. Two to three days max to get my papers and all things ready. But yes...as soon as I can."