(II) Chapter 22 - Permission

[Nino's POV]

The room was silent and I can feel the cold sweat from my body which is also noticeable on my boyfriend's face. Papa took us to his office with Ebata-san driving us. Papa had his head resting on his hands while his elbows rests on top of the table looking like he was thinking about something. All I can hear is the ticking of the clock and the pounding of my heart since it looks like we're about to go into trial.

"Nino, can you give us a room for a bit? I need to talk to him alone." Papa finally said something.

"I'm sorry Papa. I know how this would sound, but I won't. I put myself into this with him, so I'll continue to see it through the end with him by my side"

"Very well then." He replied and looked at (Y/N). "When did this start?"

I looked at my boyfriend and even though I know how he must be feeling right now, He seemed determined. I notice him take a deep breath and said,

"It was way back in February, sir."

"Then why didn't you introduce yourself before?"

"Papa, if I may... I told him that I didn't want anyone, especially my family to know about us."

"Why is that?"

"Because... Because of Yotsuba and Ichika..."

"And what do your sisters have to do with any of this?"

I mustered up all my courage and said, "Well... I... I don't want you to see me like I'm doing things just because I'm just following the footsteps of my sisters. That I don't have my own decisions to make. That... I'm just following a trend... I didn't mean to keep it a secret from you for too long... I'm sorry..."

No one said anything for a good minute until Papa uttered,

"What did you see in my daughter?" He looked at (Y/N) with serious intent.

"Nino is very beautiful and I mean that not just physically but her as a person. Her straightforwardness and her determination are one of the things that I love about her. I want to continue knowing more about her and take care of her."

"Taking care of someone isn't an easy feat. Loving someone through anything is another thing. Are you willing to go all through unforeseen things?"

"Yes. Yes I am, sir."

"What are your plans with her?"

"One of my dreams would be to have a good career in Tennis. I want to study hard and achieve my dreams so I can be worthy of her. I don't want to make empty promises to you right now, but what I can assure you is that I'll do everything to the best of my abilities so I can prove to you that your daughter is in good hands. And one day, once our dreams are met, and everything is stable, I would ask for her hand and be with her until we grow old;

"I'll continue to take care of her, protect her, and love all of her."

My heart beat fast and I can feel the heat on my face as (Y/N) said all those things with a straight face. I wanted to hug and kiss him but I obviously can't do that right now. We already got caught off-guard earlier so I wouldn't want that to happen the second time.

Both of us were anticipating what Papa would say and I can see (Y/N) trying his best. After a minute of silence, papa said,

"Very well... Continue to pursue your dreams... And..."