Chapter 3

"Dad!" Calla exclaimed running to her Keefe and letting him engulf her in a massive hug. "I missed you so much." she whispered.

"Missed you too, bean." He looked up to Sophie sitting behind Calla, and gave her the sweetest smile Calla had ever seen.

"You're home early." Sophie said as Keefe let go of Calla and walked over to Sophie, embracing her in a hug. Looking her in the eyes with so much love, and kissing her hello.

Sophie hugged Keefe tight looking so pained. "I was so scared, Keefe."

"I know I should have contacted you, but we thought we had a clue. We didn't want anyone to see the message and bolt." Calla overheard, or more like heard. Her parents were never good at being quiet.

"What was your work?" Calla asked with crossed arms and a raised eyebrow. "Is it about Fitz? A case which the 2 of you never though to, you know, tell me about?" She looked at them skeptically.

Keefe looked at her with sad and tired eyes, sinking into the sofa. "Calla, I'm sorry we didn't tell you. I know you're probably fed up with me saying this, but we couldn't. We couldn't risk anyone knowing. The Neverseen had just wrecked havoc on the Lost Cities, and we didn't want people to worry." He dragged his hand down his face. "I know you're probably thinking 'Well you should have told me. I could have helped.' But no Calla, we had the entire Council and all of us," he gestured to him and Sophie and their friend group, "looking for him. Only 16 years later did we find something useful. A clue." Keefe's eye bags were very prominent.

"I understand." Calla said, but still in the back of her mind she was a little peeved at them for not telling her. But she'd have to get over it at some point, why not start now.

Sophie looked at her husband lovingly, "It's time to move on and let another generation handle it." She looked to Calla. "And I think you're the perfect match." Her voice started to wobble. "Team Valiant Junior reminds me of us. You guys are a little too much like us, so I know the trouble you'll get in, but I know I can't do anything to stop you. And that's okay." She smiled at Calla, Calla could see that her mom was definitely thinking about her childhood, probably when she was pregnant with her.

"Do you think Fitz left on his own free will?" She asked standing up and pacing.

"That's the golden question, bean." Keefe was looking out the window. "For the past 17 years that's what we've been trying to figure out." He gave a humourless laugh.

Calla tried to think of all the possibilities for where her uncle was. The Neverseen was in Exile, and there really wasn't any forces or people who hated Fitz or Sophie. It all pointed to him having left voluntarily.

Calla externally groaned and looked at the time. It was getting late and tomorrow was a school day.

"I know you just got home dad, but I'm exhausted. I'm gonna go to bed okay?"

Keefe nodded and gave Calla a big hug. "Love you, bean."

"Love you too dad."

Calla ran upstairs and got ready for bed.

-----------------

"So when are we gonna meet about Fitz?" Calla heard Bri say incredibly loudly for being classified.

"Was zum Teufel? Das ist geheim, Bri. Du kannst nicht so laut über Fitz reden!" Calla said wide-eyed looking around. Both her and Bri were polygots, and preferred to talk in what the humans called 'German'. (What the heck? That's classified Bri. You can't say stuff about Fitz that loud!)

"Sorry... I kind of forgot." She looked around, and it didn't look like anyone had heard. Thankfully.

"All of you guys can come to my place after school today?" Calla said, when all of a sudden she felt hands on her shoulders.

"BOO"

"WHAT THE HECK" Calla jumped and turned around to see Nikko with a massive smile on his face and laughing so hard he dropped his books.

"NIKKO."

"You should've seen your face it looked like a Sasquatches face!" When he caught his breath, he asked. "What did I hear about going to your house?"

"All of TVJ at my house after school to plan the mission." Calla said scowling at him.

"Okay, I'm down. I'll tell Dec in herbology." He said picking up his books and giving Calla a smile.

"Good." Calla said getting butterflies at his smile, but refused to show that. "Now. I don't want to see your face until after school. Get going Nikko."

"See ya, FOS." Nikko teased her with his nickname for her.

Bri gave Calla a sly smile and started to speak.

"Don't say a word." Calla warned and Bri giggled.

"See you later, FOS." Bri said copying Nikko.

Calla sighed and headed to Telepathy class.