Chapter Fifty Three

I sat down gingerly, the padding on the office chair not quite enough to save from a slight ache and twinge of pain. "Really..." I frowned as I opened up the eight files I was bouncing between on the computer. "When I say I have work he just get's more persistent. There's got to be a word for that..." I mumbled with a frown.

But the ache didn't feel bad, and the bruised spots of flesh about, the evidence in light pink on my skin, felt less like a punishment and more like a trophy. At odd intervals I would run my hands over the marks unconsciously.

"So you are hooking up with someone then..." Mathew spoke as he suddenly appeared behind me.

I got a shock and swung around on the chair too fast and my foot knocked the waste paper bin over. "Ahh..." I leaned over to pick it up but he got there first.

While crouching and collecting the bits of trash to put back in the mostly otherwise empty bin he grinned up at me. "Do you keep it consistent?"

"What?" I frowned down at him. This position felt very odd.

He had big eyes. "The guy who left that on your neck." He pointed to my neck and I slapped a hand on it before his finger had fully found its target.

I cringed and covered the still sensitive mark that felt so odd to touch. It was just near the bite mark, now invisible, having seemingly completely healed without issue and absurdly fast. 

The  patch of skin where he bit me was always more sensitive than the rest, and so Lowell had a habit of targeting it for hickies for promising results, and on my end I struggled to turn my bared neck away but quietly agonised over the fact that I was already strung tight and desperately trying to hold myself back while he thought it was appropriate to keep teasing me. It bordered on edging and it was a fast way to make me sob.

"What do you mean..." I swallowed. I changed my tone, "I don't know what you mean." I snapped.

He smiled at me, he never seemed particularly put off by me snapping at him which was unusual and unfortunately rather endearing. "I mean is the guy you're seeing a regular hook-up?"

"Yes... Yes, I suppose so." He is my mate. I'll never have or want another, and my feelings for him supersede any I've ever felt for anyone before. If that was accurately described by 'regular hook-up' then I figured it was just as well.

He hummed, placing the last piece of shredded paper in before getting back up and sitting down in an office chair just a bit away from us near the window and wheeling himself over.

"Is he cute?"

I nodded. I didn't need to think about it. Lowell was indeed very cute.

He made a face, I couldn't quite place the expression, perhaps something along the lines of doubt mixed with a certain cheekiness. 

"Okay," He said after a moment. "Cool cool cool." He eyed me down a moment before turning around. "You should definitely introduce us sometime."

I nodded happily at that. I quite liked the idea of everyone at work and in my social life getting to know Lowell. I didn't care if it was inappropriate, I wanted to show him off, show off the feeling of happiness I got from being around him, I had that need all of a sudden.

"Mathew," I addressed him, and he turned around slightly to look at me. "You said you wanted to celebrate your acceptance for the internship, if you like I can always invite you round to the birthday party tomorrow, starts in the morning. For my friend called James, I have been invited to bring a 'plus one'."

"Hmm," His eyes brightened, "Saturday?" And after what felt like an imitation of deliberation he nodded. "Can do... Can do... Will there be booze?"

I considered it for a moment. "I... assume so."